Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I bit - building an Open Glock 17

Zeke013

I broke down today and began to order parts for my stock Glock 17 for a speed steel Open gun.

I started with a Trijicon RMR and a Glock rear sight adapter plate.

I hit BB Enterprise/Carver for:

KKM Threaded Barrel

Carver 3-port Compensator

11 pound recoil spring

Carver Big Mouth Magwell

I have some Arredondo mag extensions as well.

I am leery of buying a trigger sight unseen.

But - anyone got a suggestion for one?

This won't end well . . . :devil:

It should be fine he is using a slide mount sight. The ones that do that don't usually have the issues frame mounted ones can have. Only work I had done to mine with the frame mount though is bad the ejection port lowered and the sjc mount put on since it didn't cost much and was easier than trying to install it myself and mess it up. Nothing was done to ejector or extractor and it runs perfect

It should be fine he is using a slide mount sight. The ones that do that don't usually have the issues frame mounted ones can have. Only work I had done to mine with the frame mount though is bad the ejection port lowered and the sjc mount put on since it didn't cost much and was easier than trying to install it myself and mess it up. Nothing was done to ejector or extractor and it runs perfect

That's why I went slide-mount. Didn't want to chase my tail on the extraction issues.

I ran a slide mount...they are not the best way to shoot open is as nice as I can put it. You may as well be shooting open sights tracking the damn thing. Much easier to shoot with frame mounted optics. Just send Bob Carver a G17 and 4 weeks later he will return it and it will run. I haven't had a failure as long as I had the right load in the gun......Just remember comp's change everything...so you need more gas.

Email Bobby Carver with your trigger goals. We use ZEV pads and strikers, and tweak them differently. See what he can do. I know that with the striker set up with my Super Sport in, I'm running a consistent 2.2# break, and 2.9# break with the stock striker and spring. Theres great triggers out there. ZEV, GlockTriggers, Vanek, and the list goes on. Just really depends on what you want your trigger to do for you.

I ordered a 5.19" barrel from another vendor after the KKM from Carver was sold out.

Bobby sent me an email saying that the 5.19" barrel is for a suppressor, not a comp.

So the comp wouldn't be flush with the frame. Probably not a huge deal - but I'd prefer it be flush.

If you decide you want the slide milled and the RMR sunk into the it check out ATEi, I just got my slide back from them and it is absolutely beautiful. This is head and shoulders above using a mounting plate in dovetail

http://ateiguns.com/

1471.jpg

I may head that direction.

I have to say that the biggest problem I have with the higher RMR is the fact that the gun feels pointed too low when I can see the dot.

Does this recessed slide cure that at all?