Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Mags

A62335

Do the 40 magazines hold the same capacity as the 9mm 17rnd's? And has the feeding been reliable?
15 rounds in the 40 mags.
15 rounds of 9mm in the 40 mag? Was asking in reference to the OP's first post.

I just got my M&P40 mags from CDNN. They hold 18 rounds, but just barely (may not lock in place). I am planning to add a mag extension and hopefully comfortably get an extra 1-2rounds over what I would get with a 9mm mag. Note that the feed lips barely hold the smaller 9mm rounds - I am expecting to have to tweak the lips to get 100% reliability.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Do the 40 magazines hold the same capacity as the 9mm 17rnd's? And has the feeding been reliable?
15 rounds in the 40 mags.
15 rounds of 9mm in the 40 mag? Was asking in reference to the OP's first post.

I just got my M&P40 mags from CDNN. They hold 18 rounds, but just barely (may not lock in place). I am planning to add a mag extension and hopefully comfortably get an extra 1-2rounds over what I would get with a 9mm mag. Note that the feed lips barely hold the smaller 9mm rounds - I am expecting to have to tweak the lips to get 100% reliability.

Thank you, I ordered a couple from cdnn going to give it a shot. If I'm not pleased I will buy a gun to go with the 40 mags I bought lol.

I tried M&P40 mags in my 9mm but didn't like them due to the fact that there just isn't enough lip on the mag to hold the 9mm rounds. If you bump the mag (out of the pistol) you would lose a bullet.

The last straw was a couple of failure to feeds.

On the bright side, my local dealer has gotten M&P 9mm Mags in on three separate occasions. The price was only $31.95 and I'm fully stocked now. They're shipping, but it will take time to catch up. The funny thing was my dealer had no idea they were any harder to find than any other hi-cap mag.

I tried M&P40 mags in my 9mm but didn't like them due to the fact that there just isn't enough lip on the mag to hold the 9mm rounds. If you bump the mag (out of the pistol) you would lose a bullet.

I had the same experience. I am working on tweaking the lips inwards just a tad so they hold 9mm reliably. Report to follow (if I am successful).

I had the same experience. I am working on tweaking the lips inwards just a tad so they hold 9mm reliably. Report to follow (if I am successful).

Well, I made a tool to tweak the feed lips inwards slightly (they need to come in about 0.02" on each side). Unfortunately the M&P40 magazine tubes are exceptionally hard - the lips cracked after virtually no movement! I did manage to get close to the right amount of bend, and now the magazine seems to hold 9mm rounds much more securely... at least until the feed lips snap off :surprise: .

I think I'll try to salvage the tube by fusing the cracks with my TIG welder (I've nothing to lose at this point anyway). If anyone wants to try tweaking their own mags, I suggest annealing the lips first (then re-harden when adjusted to your liking). Worst case I'll weld this tube onto the bottom of another tube to make a long franken-mag :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

I guess since I sold my M&P open gun I should sell the few mags I kept that went with it. M&P9 17 round mags with Taylor Freelance 140mm extensions. What do you guys think is a fair price? I don't wanna gouge anyone, and the mags are in new condition but they're used and used is used. I still have all the original parts as well.

I dont know with the extensions, but in stock configuration I think 50 bucks is pretty fair. Thats twice retail a year ago. You could get more easily, I saw somebody happily pay 70 recently. I sold a new 40 mag for 50 last month, took less than an hour, and those are much easier to find. My 2 cents.

• 5 weeks later...