Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Safety?

Sullie

I am planning to buy another full size M&P 9mm in the near future to build up. This gun will sport a milled slide to accept a Trijicon RMR red dot sight. I plan to use Apex trigger parts, to possibly include their FSS trigger. This gun will likely become my primary carry gun as well as a gun for shooting steel and USPSA open (minor).

My question has to do with whether or not I should get the model with the thumb safety or not. The first handgun I ever owned was a 1911, and I still shoot it (and my 2011) a lot. So, I am extremely used to the operation of a thumb safety on that design. (I say this so that I don't get responses about possibly forgetting to disengage the thumb safety or other such nonsense!). This has never been a problem for me. Why would I want a thumb safety for this gun? For a few reasons, I like light trigger pulls, I may experiment with appendix carry with this gun.....the additional thumb safety may help make me feel more comfortable with this, and, if I am already used to the safety.....why not? It certainly doesn't slow me down and may enhance my own safety.

Since I have never shot the M&P with the thumb safety (they are pretty rare), I would like to know your opinions on their use. Particularly, for those 1911/2011 guys out there, does the M&P safety have a similar feel and ergonomics as the 1911? I have only handled them in the store, they seem like they are positioned slightly farther back and/or higher than on a 1911. They are also made of plastic.

I bought a gun with one since it was $50 cheaper than the other M&Ps at the shop and they are easily removable if you don't like it. The one I got was definitely made of metal. It is up pretty high and the edge felt fairly sharp. Since I got the gun for competition use I didn't want any extraneous hand soreness or bruises to impact my shooting and in the end it wasn't comfortable to me so I just opened the gun and removed it. I don't know how it compares to the 1911/2011 safety, it's been years since I held one of those.

Edited by KungPfoo

How do you drop the slide? The thumb safety on an M&P makes it hard for me to reach the slide stop with my strong hand thumb.

It seems like you've made the case for it. You could always remove it.

Edit: it does seem far back and high compared to the 1911 I run. I was able to get on top of it though.

Edited by eliminator

How do you drop the slide? The thumb safety on an M&P makes it hard for me to reach the slide stop with my strong hand thumb.

If I seat the fresh mag firmly enough the slide "drops itself". Failing that, slingshot.

I like the lower profile safety of the Shield for pocket carry (because I can choose not to use it when holster carrying), but since that's not available for the full size, I say no safety.

I am planning to buy another full size M&P 9mm in the near future to build up. This gun will sport a milled slide to accept a Trijicon RMR red dot sight. I plan to use Apex trigger parts, to possibly include their FSS trigger. This gun will likely become my primary carry gun as well as a gun for shooting steel and USPSA open (minor).

My question has to do with whether or not I should get the model with the thumb safety or not. The first handgun I ever owned was a 1911, and I still shoot it (and my 2011) a lot. So, I am extremely used to the operation of a thumb safety on that design. (I say this so that I don't get responses about possibly forgetting to disengage the thumb safety or other such nonsense!). This has never been a problem for me. Why would I want a thumb safety for this gun? For a few reasons, I like light trigger pulls, I may experiment with appendix carry with this gun.....the additional thumb safety may help make me feel more comfortable with this, and, if I am already used to the safety.....why not? It certainly doesn't slow me down and may enhance my own safety.

Since I have never shot the M&P with the thumb safety (they are pretty rare), I would like to know your opinions on their use. Particularly, for those 1911/2011 guys out there, does the M&P safety have a similar feel and ergonomics as the 1911? I have only handled them in the store, they seem like they are positioned slightly farther back and/or higher than on a 1911. They are also made of plastic.

could be scarce because i own 5 of them. love the gun. never liked nor shot glocks well (not the gun i bet) the thumb safety was icing o the cake.

if u are a dedicated 1911/bhp operator like i am.,carried my 1st bhp in s.a. in 1973. loved it them love it now, u will love the s&w

go for it. looking for another as we speak. got 3 with out t/s i would love to get rid of if i can find a trade

good luck

jjw

The thumb safety is easily removed, as already stated, if you don't like it. Along those lines; it is easily added if you get one of the newer pistols with the frame plugs instead of the key lock hole.

S&W is supposedly converting to the frame plugs and is discontinuing the internal lock. But they appear to have a bunch of old frames. The CORE I ordered came with the older frame style. Too bad, as I was planning on adding a safety.

I like the thumb safety. I think it helps get a high aggressive grip and helps push the web of my shooting hand up into the tang of the beavertail. I also think the safety gives a bit more leverage to help control muzzle flip.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for the responses.

Re: Dropping the Slide. On my current M&P (without T.S.) I drop the slide with my strong side (right) thumb. Though my gun will reliably drop the slide on its own if I slam the mag in, I hit the slide release at the same time. On my 1911/2011, I drop the slide with mt weak hand thumb (not ideal, but it works.)

Re: the CORE. My understanding, please correct me if I am wrong, is that the red dot on the core would sit quite high, machining the slide allows the red dot to sit lower and cowitness with suppressor sights.

I thought the slide on the CORE was pre milled.

The thumb safety can make it more difficult to reach the slide go with your strong hand thumb. You're mileage may vary.

I put an extended slide go on my 1911 and never looked back.

Yes, I know that the CORE has a milled slide to accept several different red dots via mounting plates. But, the RMR appears to sit higher on the core than the milled slides by OST and ATEI. In addition, I worry about the RMR's ability to hold zero when mounted to the CORE via mounting plates. Opinions?