Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 Jam

h4444

Did a search,,,unless it sucked,,,I didn't find the answer I was looking for. ;)

I've got a well cared for but used 1100 that's started giving me some "death jams".

Bare with me as I'm not a shotgun guy. I'm an experienced pistol shooter that "had" to have an 1100 for 3-gun.

Anyway, when it jams it happens as a round is being fed, actually it is trying to feed two at once.

I'll get the one that should be fed then another is partially out of the tube and the tube spring has jamed the first round into the action locking it up tighter than H4444's hamstrings on a cold day. :lol:

Help,,,,what needs to be replaced? :rolleyes:

H4444

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, I would be concerned about the intercepter latch. The intercepter latch is the pivoting latch in opposite side of the gun from the long feed latch, and it is retained with a little e-clip.

When the gun is ready to fire, the next shell in the mag tube is pushed against the feed latch (the long latch that is supposed to be staked in) and the intercepter latch is out of the way.

When the hammer falls, the intercepter latch is rotated down beyond the rim of the next round by a link lifted by the hammer spring.

Then the gas system drives the action bars back, which opens the feed latch, and releases the next round in the mag tube. The thing that makes sure only one shell gets fed onto the shell carrier is the intercepter latch. It is supposed to be between the next round (being fed) and the one after that (that is supposed to stay in the tube). If the intercepter latch is gone or if it is not being actuated by the link with the hammer spring or if the front face of the latch is broken off, well, you would have your jam. Another way to have this problem is if someone has been trying to improve the loading and feeding, and too much metal has been removed from the latch or the tube opening.

Hey, do us a favor. When you find out what the actual problem was and fix it, please post the problem and the fix on this thread here to help out the rest of us.

Billski

This problem came to light recently. Wolf was on sale for about $2.86 a box and I stocked up and have been shooting Wolf for about a year and a half. The gun has run 100% free of the double feed problem.

I'm about to run out of the the Wolf and I stocked up on the Wal-Mart Remington shells for $2.98 a box.

While practicing recently with reloading using mixed-shells (Wolf and the Remington), my 1100 started doing double feeds. And ALWAYS... a Remington shell was the second shell in the double feed. The second shell is the problem as it is blowing through the catch.

Prior to the Wolfs I also had this problem in a match or two. Always with the Remingtons.

Measuring a couple of case heads the Remingtons run .883" and the Wolfs run .886".

Now maybe there is a problem with my 1100... but whatever it is it is exacerbated by the use of the Remington shells.

Soooo... try different ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Religious Shooter, If your double feed problem is really turned on and off by use of shells with 0.003 inch diameter difference, your shotgun is on the edge of problems.

So, have either one of you looked for damage to the Intercepter Latch or Feed Latch, stickiness or binding in either one, etc?

Also, have the guns been modified to make stuffing in shells easier? Is it possible that too much was removed some time, leaving the shell too much latitiude to move around and letting it get past the latches? If so, a new set of latches may be in your future.

Billski

• 2 weeks later...

I was referring to funneling the mouth of the magazine tube and reciever to make shell stuffing easier and/or faster.

I fixed the pinch on my gun by enlarging the opening (plan-view from the bottom) forward about 0.10" and removed 0.5" from the easy loader.

Billski

• 1 month later...

I have had the same problem with my 1100, it just went 10-7 before the first shot of a match this past weekend. My problem was the interceptor latch spring, a little paper-clip looking thingy that puts the gun in a world or hurt when it comes loose. The spring is staked to the reciever, and the sits in a little trough in the interceptor. Well, somewhere along the line mine got bent, probably by some fumble-fingered jackleg slamming a shell into it looking for the magazine <_< and didn't sit in the trough properly. I changed the spring angle a little bit, to where the spring sits properly, and staked it into place. I haven't shot the gun yet, but the spring stays put now even when I try to move it, and several load-unload cycles have been uneventful.

Your problem is almost certainly interceptor related, but I would recommend checking to make sure the spring is working correctly before buying too many new parts. I don't think Remington designed the 1100 with speed reloads in mind, that spring just kinda sits there in the magazine opening begging to be hit with a shell.

DanO