Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how often do you completely dis-assemble your open gun for cleaning ?

cecil

Twice a year fully, other than that... every 500-1000 rounds

+1 and if you have never done it yourself have a look on youtube like i did,I've got a STI grand master i didn't fancy doing it but after watching some youtube i had a go and now its easy,

hope this helps mickd

Edited by mickd1

When it's dirty. I have shot in a few places that just having your gun in the holster attracted enough dust and grit to cause issues ( bend OR).

I wipe down the slide, rails ,and the chamber after every match (if i see junk I'll use a dry patch but I never clean the bore). The bottom end gets a clean rag through the mag well ,and if it or the trigger look or feel dirty ,I clean the whole thing. The comp well that's a pain in the a#% so maybe twice a year or it gets to much build up.

I don't see a reason to shoot with foreign particulates grinding away on the rails/ slide if I have time to clean it.

Edited by caspian38

The comp well that's a pain in the a#% so maybe twice a year or it gets to much build up.

spray Dillon case lube in it before a match and after a match. Works like a charm. If you do some searching here you'll find a bunch of threads about it. You could even use Dawn soap and water if you prefer.

The comp well that's a pain in the a#% so maybe twice a year or it gets to much build up.

spray Dillon case lube in it before a match and after a match. Works like a charm. If you do some searching here you'll find a bunch of threads about it. You could even use Dawn soap and water if you prefer.

Thanks for the heads up I'll give it a try !

While in Fla for the winter I forgot the tool needed to remove the sti recoil master so 4000 rounds went down my sti GM 9mm open gun with nothing more lubing the slide rails, link and the front of the barrel where it locks up. Ran 100%. I cleaned it when I got back home and it was pretty dirty.