Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Start with 4-Shell or "Two Load" Caddies?

M852

I'm gearing up for my first foray into competitive shooting with 3-gun. Amongst other things, I'm planning to pick up some shell caddies and a belt system. I know the "weak-hand 4-stack reload" and the "two load" are competing methods for shell loading.

seems to show the "two load" method offers a time advantage.

I'm doing my best to get my purchases right the first time to minimize the amount of money (not to mention time) I will sink into dead-end equipment. The shell caddy question appears to be one of those forks where I'd like to get it right the first time and avoid having to back out of a money/time investment in one system and have to start over/re-learn with another system.

So, would it be better to start with gear for a weak-hand, 4-stack reload or a "two load"? Or, does it even matter? Just go with whichever system I can get at the best price?

Load two is easier to learn for most people. Best bet is to find some local shooters and try each type out before you drop the cash. Load two doesn't necessarily offer a time advantage. Both techniques can be very fast, but weak hand takes more time to develop.

Edited by rboyes

Go with the load two and don't look back. If you want to put in LOTS of time the week hand load can be done (nearly) as fast but if you want to start shooting and enjoying your shotgun the load two method is the easiest by far. Side note to that, if you buy the good load two stuff and you decide it isn't for you it is very easy to sell as it is the latest and greatest. But seriously most of the upper mid level shooters (the group I claim to belong to...) are going with the load two technique because it is possible to only practice at your local matches and not look like a complete beginner.

No matter what, have fun!

I recommend Load-4. Weak-hand loading of 2x2 stacks. Way faster than Load-2.

Easiest to learn - Load-2.

Fastest load - Load-4.

Hardest to learn and slowest method - 4 shells from speedstripper (strong hand or weak hand). But it's the only 'practical' method, suitable for something beside competition.

IMHO (and I'm sure others will disagree) you may want both. If you only need to load 2 shells, with the load 2 methd you have to dismount the gun, flip it, load, remount, reacquire the tgt. It can be faster over all to do a weak hand reload with 2 shells keeping the gun mounted. If you need to load 4 or 6 or 8 the load 2 or load 4 method will be faster.

Also, think of all the time you've seen someone mis and needing to make up ONE shot. Plan on how you can do that quickly as well.

I have both the Carbon Arms 8 shell caddy for load 4 reloding when I need to load a lot and plain 6 shell caddies when I just need to grab a few. I plan to upgrade to 4x4 caddies soon.

It's harder to learn and takes more to practice but having the right techniqe to use at the right time will be faster.

YMMV.

If you have big enough hands, the quad load is where it's at. If not, a load 2 setup would be my second choice. Both of these methods will blow away a weak hand load. That being said, I think there is some value in learning the weak hand load, at least as a backup or for situations where you need to load a few shells while keeping the gun at or near your shoulder. FWIW, my current setup is 16 shells set up for quad load (TACCOM Quaload) and 3 weakhand caddies.

Edited by amccallister

Hand size has nothing to do with the Quadload. We have several ladies and juniors that can do it. BUT, it is not as reliable as the TWinS load, maybe the same as a good weakhand loader. However, neither will "blow away" a top tier shooter with years of experience loading weak hand. The advantage for new and middle of the pack shooters lies in the significant reduction in the amount of time it take to learn the technique and get within a few seconds of the top shooters. I have often told folks that with the right technique, a new shooter can get to a solid 6 second load in 30 minutes of work with the TWinS. After a few new shooters recently, I may have to move that to 45 minutes. :roflol:

The only real issue is the decision of weak or strong hand. I'd strongly suggest TWinS first, and then, after you have it down, work on the Quad. TWinS is kind of like the LM choke...useful most of the time. I've used a Quad 2 times in a match now (in about 16 months), otherwise it saved me no time because I was moving anyway. I can put 2 in the gun just as fast with a TWinS load as putting in 1 or 2 with the traditional weakhand load, so it does not get much attention.

There are a lot of living room Quad loaders out there, several getting just under 3 seconds for 8 rounds. But consider this...if they bobble just one shell, the advantage of that 1 second is lost. For the top 10 guys, sure, that is something...for the rest, that second is better made up practicing other stuff and resting on the ease and success of the TWinS load.

Many thanks for the suggestions. It's sounds like the advantages of starting with the load-two method is the way to go for a noob like me. The question now is strong-hand vs. weak-hand (as Mark pointed out) and which gear.

From what I've seen, our local matches have an even mix of static and on-the-move shot shell reloading. It seems to me the strong-hand reload grip with the stock on top of the shoulder creates a more stable platform to load than squeezing it in the armpit on a weak-hand reload. (I have this image in my mind of trying to shuffle between stations, barrel swinging in sync from the pivot formed by the inside of my arm and ribs, while I attempt to jab shells into the swinging tube.)

With regard to gear, is it better to have the shells mounted vertically, angled, or horizontal? Is there a holder that would let me start with load-two and easily transition to a quad load? It looks like the gap between shells would be great for grabbing two at a time, but would also make it harder to grab four at a time for quad load.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Static reloading usually means error in game plan or execution. All reloading should be done on the move.

Also, think of all the time you've seen someone mis and needing to make up ONE shot. Plan on how you can do that quickly as well.

I'm using shell carrier on left hand for this (like on picture). I put 5 shells in it, shell carrier on bottom side of the arm, shell bottoms to the right. This way I can quickly pull 1 shell with right hand and either drop it into the extraction window or push it into the loading window. Both actions must be practiced regularily to be smooth. Advantages of using this type of shell carrier - when you hold the gun to your sholder, your left hand forearm is very close to the receiver, so it's short travel distance for the shell.

17350076061337863973.jpg

Edited by Llandaff

Considering the documented speed of the quad-load method, we are all probably going to that eventually. I'm still stubborn because of my belief that weak hand is 'practical'.

I'll probably end up getting some Qualoads from TacCom for a Supernova I have on order and try it in Heavy Metal.

There are special side saddles if you need just one or two more rounds to complete a stage.

Weak hand is just plain weak! My goal used to be 8 rounds in under 6 seconds. Now I easily load 12 rounds in under 6 seconds with the AP Customs L2/4 and TACCOM Quadloads.

Weak hand is a skill that will come in handy at some point but learn it after you're good at deuces or quads.

learning curve on load 2 or load 4 ( tac com quad load) is almost the same. i think learning traditional load for confined space ( car, barricade, etc) is worth learning, but quad load is the only way to fly for a wide open stage. also a positive, quad load can be learned in about an hour, and ninja quick in about 4. traditional 1-4, about 10,000 reps. go straight to quad load, load 2s feel dumb in short order.