Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge stages

euxx

Folks, sorry to have to reincarnate this thread.

For those who are using bonuses at the steel stages, what you want to see when you hit a negative time for a stage?

Is negative time should be carried across strings and should it be carried into the overall results? Basically decreasing overall stage time and/or total overall time. Or should negative time be "normalized" to 0 for a given string?

Make the stage hard enough that you can't get a negative time - that's what I do :)

I don't see how you can permit a negative time. If it goes below zero I would normalize it to zero.

Zack, right now android app allows negative time for a string and it is carried over to stage and then to the overall. Someone complained that ios app doesn't do the same and results are different between two, so Russ removed that from ios app.

Like you said, you can just adjust bonuses accordingly or make them harder to hit and it doesn't get to negative time... but I wonder what's the common thing.

Zack, right now android app allows negative time for a string and it is carried over to stage and then to the overall. Someone complained that ios app doesn't do the same and results are different between two, so Russ removed that from ios app.

Like you said, you can just adjust bonuses accordingly or make them harder to hit and it doesn't get to negative time... but I wonder what's the common thing.

I'd be surprised if anyone had a stage where there was negative time but anything is possible. I do think the best way to handle it would be to set the time to 0 but I'd love to see an example and stage diagram from a match where someone actually had negative times.

We just ran our Spring Steel match using the Time Plus option. (IOS version) We did have one stage with 4 strings, keep the best 3. Penalties had to be manually added to each time string to determine the best three times then we zeroed out the worst stage. Worked fine but would have been nice to have a way to keep the penalties with the string.

Didn't have any other issues and hoping to use it for Steel Challenge matches this summer. We hope to someday be able to push updates out from our Master to the Stages so that we could use this for our Tuesday Night Steel matches. With 200+ shooters, there ain't no way we would ever be able to keep up with the stages forced to sync with the master.

Congrats on the Android version getting locked stage capability. Hoping to see that on IOS soon. Stages should not be doing anything other than scoring, never making shooter or match changes.

We only had one stage out of 8 that had that option. The rest of our match was more of a general steel match.

Per string penalties might be a good option to add tho. I will submit that to Mantis.

Edited by pcarst

That's what I'm saying. The steel challenge match type already has per-string penalties. And as for all other time-based match types penalties and bonuses are completely configurable.

There is an old steel plate stage I believe is called Down time.

It was 3 18 x 24 on the left, a minus 2 second 12" option plate in the middle and

A 18 x 24 stop plate on the right. About 7 yard distance.

The fast guys could get some strings negative and sometimes a stage negative score.

We would deduct from overall time if you could do it.

It was called down time.

...We hope to someday be able to push updates out from our Master to the Stages so that we could use this for our Tuesday Night Steel matches. With 200+ shooters, there ain't no way we would ever be able to keep up with the stages forced to sync with the master...

Are those 200+ shooters registering in the middle of the match? How many of them are shooting these matches regularly?

For some weekly or monthly matches with same regular competitors we just pre-entered all shooters from past matches e.g. using csv spreadsheet and added 10..20 generic entries (new shooter 1, new shooter 2, etc...) for the new people showing up, so they are assigned numbers in the order of registration and real names are changed on the master at very end. So, you don't really have to sync to scoring devices during match.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. Yes, sign up for our match runs from 2:30pm to 7pm. Shooters can show up anytime during that period and begin shooting. If they complete their first run before 7pm, they can (and often do) sign up to shoot a second gun. Stages are shotgun start so they can go wherever the line is shortest or with their friends. As you can see, there is no way we could do squads.

We hold a safety meeting for new shooters each week as well and generally have 4-8 new shooters in each class. Our mailing list has over 1000 names on it so we never know who is going to show up. Yes, there are many regulars that are there every week but many more that come out as their time and bullet supply permits.

I hope this helps the understanding of how important it is to allow master control of registration and pushing changes out to the stage ipads.

We do not use dedicated RO's (although that may be coming at some point in the future to help with safety), so the stage iPads need to be delegated solely to scoring and not allow local changes which may cause more harm than good. One example of that is that if registration is allowed on the stage, then people could go straight to the stage and bypass payment of the match.

• 3 weeks later...

- we use 5 sec. penalties instead of 3 sec.

- previous software we used for our steel matches (written by a member who was a db admin) would let us take the best 3 runs of 5 (instead of 4 of 5). we'd like the option to do that under PS.

There is an old steel plate stage I believe is called Down time.

It was 3 18 x 24 on the left, a minus 2 second 12" option plate in the middle and

A 18 x 24 stop plate on the right. About 7 yard distance.

The fast guys could get some strings negative and sometimes a stage negative score.

We would deduct from overall time if you could do it.

It was called down time.

my current average for Smoke & Hope for 2015, which is 4 18x24 plates + a 12" plate at 14 yds is right at 2.1 secs/string .... move that 12" plate to 7yds like above & I'm sure I'd be sub 2 secs pretty easily ... and I'm not exactly a Super Squad guy .... Edited by Nimitz