Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using components other than our favorites

Dan Sierpina

Due to the lack of supplies, how many are willing to look at alternatives to what we have uses for years?

For .223, H335 has been my standard powder for up to 55 grain bullets, heavier got either RL15, or Varget. .308 usually got 4895, either IMR or Hodgdon. Not having a lot of my favorites, I have some Alliant powders on the way, 1200R for lighter bullets in .223 and 2000MR for heavier .224 bullets and .308.

Are you stuck with what you've been using, or are you willing to try something else and still get out to play?

I'm already in uncharted waters for rifle and headed that way with pistol. Once I run out of titegroup I have 2 lbs of universal... because that is the only powder I could get. I will also be using magnum primers. I will load whatever I can find until things are normal. No way I am sitting at the house because I can't get my favorite powder.

aa2230 for all my rifle loads. been BO since december. IAC, been trying AA2200 and WW748, since i got 4 lbs of each. giant pain in the arse to work up new loads, but once done, you may just have a winner. can't say i have as yet...just prayin' for the BO.

Butch, were you totally out, or like me, you didn't have enough for the season for both practice, (I don't do a lot of practice) and matches?

I had pretty good sucess with RL15 when I shot Highpower some years back. That's why I'm trying the 2 Alliant powders.

dan-was on my last pound. another forum member recommended 2200, and it became available. since then, i've grabbed 4 different rifle powers to experiment with. finally got load data to match the BDC of my vortex-just now getting to the final phase of load development-groups. giant pain, but maybe, just maybe, i'll get a winner.