Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building permits-blah

phara

My first time going through this process has been a horrible experience. Experienced contractors say even they have horrible experiences.

Everytime I go down to city hall with my plans in hand they want me to do something else. They seem to enjoy making me jump through hoops.

I've been told if you get mad at them your project goes to the bottom of the list! I guess that's just they way it is.

"If you build it, they will come.""
And even if you're THINKING of building it, they will come. Welcome to the City of Eugene's engineering and permit department. Probably easier to run thru a hallway full of hair-trigger laser guns and swinging razor-sharp pendulums than successfully obtain a building permit (or pass inspections) with the City of Eugene! Countless cartoons and local jokes about this, believe me! Only it's no joke! :angry::o

Yeah, this is serious. Margaret and I haven't gone one week without shooting in the last 5 years, let alone 1 month. But we made the huge mistake of tearing off our tar and gravel, cutting the eaves off the house and ordering new trusses BEFORE we got the permits in hand. Now we have one eye on the sky all the time, we have trusses being delivered next week, the plywood is already paid for, the engineer we hired seems to be dragging his feet and asking for more money, and the city could care less. There is a distinct possibility that we may have to put the tar and gravel back up and put up some makeshift eaves to get us through the winter until the spring when we may end up starting the process over again.

Thanks everyone, misery really does love company!

But there is hope. I did put the cmore back on the gun last night!

Paul