Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check your gun is sighted in before a match.

Mikethor

Damned obvious really. Shot my first big match last year and had a nightmare on the steel with my 1911.

Winding back the clock a month prior to the match I was nailing this stuff comfortably and consistently, a week before I was having a little trouble and a experienced shooting buddy advised that I check that I'm sighted in. My reply was " they are all good it is just me".

Back to the match and what the heck is going on here? Lesson learned, I hate to blame equipment but I should have listened to the advice. After the match a few days later I was training and sure enough I was still missing or on the edge of the plates and this was with no pressure. Adjusted the sights and bang clang all good to go.

Now I check every time I shoot to ensure that my sights are where they should be, then the rest is up to me.

That is all good until your on the 4th stage of 9 and the rear sight blade falls out and all you have to sight with is two posts 1/4 inch apart.

Spare gun now, always!

• 4 weeks later...

I shot the Florida Open this year and did great on the first two stages. Third and fourth I had about 60% Deltas all on the very bottom of the targets and I'm starting to wonder if I changed my grip somehow.

Fifth stage 7 Mikes and a bunch of Deltas. I know something is wrong at this point so I call the RM to ask him if I can check my gun on one of the other stages we've already finished.

On inspection I find that when I sighted in my dot the day before I had neglected to tighten the set screw on the cmore after adjusting and it had been moving all day. Way to late at that point to save my match performance.

So yes. Make sure your gun is sighted...And, If shooting open, Tighten the set screw afterwards.

I was shooting the fl state idpa match.

On the third stage of the afternoon I noticed my front sight was loose, very loose.

Tightened it up and all seemed fine until a few stages later I'm thinking to myself as I'm shooting the stage, something is wrong, something is wrong. On the last target I realize I have NO front sight, it's gone.

I would like to say my poor performance was entirely due to this but I know better

Now whenever I clean the pistols I check the sights

I was shooting the fl state idpa match.

On the third stage of the afternoon I noticed my front sight was loose, very loose.

Tightened it up and all seemed fine until a few stages later I'm thinking to myself as I'm shooting the stage, something is wrong, something is wrong. On the last target I realize I have NO front sight, it's gone.

I would like to say my poor performance was entirely due to this but I know better

Now whenever I clean the pistols I check the sights

The something that is wrong is that you are not LOOKING at your front sight, if it took you multiple targets to notice it was gone!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I quickly changed from DP sights to Trijicons on the Glock before a match....I didn't Locktite them because I was going to swith them back after the match (100 rounds). Well you guessed it...the screw on my front sight came loose after about 70 rounds! And I even gave it a little extra troque since I was not Locktiting! Sheeshhh....Locktite is a MUST on that front Trijicon sight.

• 2 weeks later...