Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Swage Backup Rod

I loaded about 300 round of 9x19. There were a bunch of NATO cases, so I had the Swage Backup Rod/Expander installed and the 9x19 powder funnel. It appears that having two expanders was too much as about 60 rounds had bullets that could easily be pushed into the case (bullet set-back).

Is the a Swage Backup Rod that only acts as a backup rod and does not expand--a "universal" backup rod?

You might try not using the powder die to expand, just set it up so that the powder measure activates properly and dumps the full load of powder, but no more than that so the powder die isn't belling the case anymore. The Swage case support is nice when you are running a bulletfeeder. You can shorten the stem so you can get the case mouth open for the bullet to seat in it properly without having to use a Lyman M die, and you can still swage the case. Win win....

Good luck,

DougC

Unless I set up the swage backup to only expand and I set up the powder funnel to only flare/bell, it would still be much easier to ONLY have the swage backup rod doing only its backup job and not swaging. Oh well....Thanks.

I'm using the swage on both 9mm and 223. I don't have any setback issues with 9mm but the swage rod was belling the 223 cases a little more than I wanted. So I pulled the rod, put it in a drill press and removed the black coating with some 600 grit sandpaper. It actually helped. You might try removing the black coating on the swage rod where it expands the case mouth. I think the rod is tungsten so you're not going to do any damage to it with regular sandpaper.

i found moving the swedge backup out of the way and no belling was better for bullet feeder.the beell i do in the powder droper i found it to be more adjustable for the amount of bell i needed to make bullett from dropper stick strait up and down and not fall over as it moves to the next station.wow.

Yes, but I still think that a "universal" backup rod that would work for most calibers and NOT do anything but support the case head as the primer is swaged would be all that the station requires. I find the cartridge-specific "powder funnels" are near perfect and, as I pointed out, at least for my and 9x19, I can't use the 9mm back-up rod/expander and the "powder funnel" together as the cases are over expanded.

Maybe a .223 back-up and expander might work...

Edited by noylj

If you can find a local machine shop with a tool grinder with a collet holder, it is about a 60 sec job to grind down the stepped diameter on the rod that does case expansion. I did this on my 1050 set up for 40, and I use a Mr. Bulletfeeder powder funnel on the powder drop for expansion. It works slicker than snot. A nice side benefit is that it is much easier to set the back up rod depth, since you can actually feel it contact the case web as you screw it down.

Here's a link to what I did on my station 3:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=170159entry1898420