Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard chroming on revolvers

Dragon11

I started this post cause I saw Carmoneys response on another topic/post in reference to finishing guns with hard chrome. I'm curious if there is any advantage or disadvantage to getting a revolver hard chromed, or for that matter, another type of finish. Does it change the tolerances to much, is it easier to clean? I have been thinking about getting a finish that would make it easier to remove lead build up on the guns.

Back in the day of the blued guns, hardchroming was more or less a method to prevent rusting. I had found a spot on my 586 that had rust on it so off to the hardchromer it went. I was never one that could be accused of wearing his revo out by cleaning it to much. Stainless steel guns do not need the protection. The colored varieties is more for the cool factor. IMHO later rdd

I've had good luck with electroless nickel.

I sometimes use a stainless brush, lightly, to brush the lead build up. Will that hurt the electroless nickel, or hard chrome. I'd hate to pay the money on a finish just to scrub it off.

Not to beat a dead horse so to speak, but, if hard chrome is thicker won't it change the tolerances to much. I would be afraid of the moon clips having less room between the cylinder and blast wall, and also the end shake. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the stainless finish, but if I can spend a little less time cleaning the gun by just wiping it vs. scrubbing, I'm all for it. Plus, I have to admit, hard chrome can look pretty darn good.

I own a couple of revolvers that have been hard-chromed. One of them is a 625 that I had chromed as an experiment to see if it would solve the cylinder peening issue (it didn't).

Hard chrome is an excellent finish for handguns. I have never found that it chances the tolerances of a revolver in any material way. If anything, it might make it run a little smoother than before after the initial wear-in. A brushed or bright hard-chrome job will make the gun somewhat easier to clean.

When I shoot lead bullets verses plated and/or jacketed bullets, I have the same problems you are trying to get away from. I have to clean the lead build up from the usual places. I don't have that problem w/the other bullets. Brush the carbon out and shoot.

To quote Mike Carmoney, if I may, "Life's too short to shoot lead bullets." I do agree

As far as hard chrome goes, my guns (1911s, no Revos) that are chromed, do clean easier and wear much slower. However, I would NEVER use a stainless brush on my chromed guns, like I do on my stainless guns. There is no noticable differnce in the tolerances after chrome. The plating is not very thick at all.

Edited by granderojo

To quote Mike Carmoney, if I may, "Life's too short to shoot lead bullets." I do agree

Funny you shoud quote that......I actually shot last Tuesday's local USPSA match with my 625 loaded with 230 LRN handloads! Given the cost and availability issues we are experiencing today, all bets are off. I still have plenty of jacketed bullets for the big matches, though.....