Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 ssr cut for moon clips

Dragon11

I have thought about getting a 686 SSR. I was thinking about getting it cut for moonclips. My plan is to shoot it with speedloaders in IDPA, and to use the moonclips for USPSA. If I get it cut for moonclips, but still only use speedloaders in IDPA, would it still be legal in the IDPA sport?

You might want to think about going the other way. Get a 625 for USPSA using moonclips, and then use autorim brass for IDPA with speedloaders. I'm not sure if you need to shoot major in USPSA, but if you do, I would think the .357 major loads are going to be more difficult to control than the .45 ACP major loads.

I would get a firm someone at IDPA headquarters, regarding having the gun cut for moonclips as an aftermarket change. It should be the same as a factory gun cut for moonclips, but I can't provide a definite answer.

I have been shooting 625's in USPSA for a while now. I was thinking about getting the 686 SSR to shoot mostly in IDPA, but thought about playing around with it in USPSA. I probably won't get it cut for moonlcips, but was just wondering if I did, could I still shoot it in IDPA legally if I used the speedloaders. If I got it cut for moons it would be just to play around with it in USPSA and possibly ICORE.

my understanding is 45 Autorim and 45 Gap are no go for the 625. In the addendum the rules stated the gun had to be stamped for the round being used. This may (hopefully) change after the new rule book comes out.

The Autorim was approved as acceptable to use in SSR in a 625. It was determined to be the same as 38 spcl. in a 357 or 44 spcl. in a 44 mag. There is a thread in the rules clarifications on the IDPA forum on it. The autorim is basically the same cartridge as the ACP but uses speedloaders over moonclips. The hard part with the AR is that you are stuck with HKS or SL Variant speedloaders and there are not many N frame speedloader holders available that are good for IDPA. If you are handy you might be able to come up with a few things of your own though.