Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK 93 Question

cop206

I have a HK93 that is stamped 223 on the lower receiver. Can anyone tell me if it is safe to shoot 5.56 NATO ammunition is this rifle? I researched as much as possible and found out HK changed the late 80's models to say 5.56 instead of 223, but I don't know if the early models were chambered for both. Thanks for any help.....

Thanks guys! It's definitely a real HK, I don't do well with imitation, LOL. I sent an email asking HK but have not gotten a response back yet so I thought I'd ask on Enos.

I have had a couple of them and they are fine with 5.56 ammo. They are military rifles and were intended for mil/LE use so don't worry about the chamber not withstanding the pressure. The HK93 is so overbuilt and heavy for a .223 that you will not have any worries about damaging the rifle.

I would agree that with the reputation that H&K has along with their lineage with military rifles, I would say it would be okay. However, like they say, if it says 223, do not shoot 5.56 in it so do it at your own discretion.

Just Cerasafe cast the chamber, its way to cheap and easy not to. You can order it from brownells, follow the instructions on the package. The SAAMI drawings for .223rem and 5.56nato spec chambers are online. Just mic it out and you'll know in a few minutes.

There is a guy on the HK forums that goes by Ghillie bear or ghilliebear 2000. He does rebarrel job and complete builds on the 93 platform. You might try to track him down. He is pretty reputable.

• 9 years later...

I was informed by HK that all HK 93 rifles imported into the US were stamped 223 and they were actually chambered in 223 Wylde.

Here is info from wiki on the 223 wylde:

A .223 Wylde chamber is a hybrid rifle chamber designed to allow .22 caliber barrels to safely fire both .223 Remington and 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition. While the cartridge dimensions of both rounds are the same, 5.56 NATO loads produce pressures in excess of the .223 safe spec. The 5.56 chamber has angular differences that allow higher pressures safely. The .223 can be fired from a 5.56 chamber safely but with reduced accuracy. The Wylde is a hybrid chamber designed to allow both ammunition types to be safely fired with good accuracy.