Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob dust cover question

JunotFranco

What are the pros/cons of long dust cover vs short dust cover? Wide vs regular dust cover? I am talking for STI .40 for USPSA Limited. Thanks!

I'm glad you asked the question. I've been wondering for the longest time, too, but always forget to ask when I'm around other shooters. The weight thing makes since.

Thanks!!! The middle gun is the one that was posted earlier in the thread.

You could always start with a LDC, and if you don't like the weight, you can have some lightening done to it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Thanks!!! The middle gun is the one that was posted earlier in the thread.

You could always start with a LDC, and if you don't like the weight, you can have some lightening done to it.

Got any more pics of the middle gun? I want to see the area on the slide right by the frame. It looks unique...

Take the weight off the slide and maybe flute the barrel. Go in increments and when you think you went just a little too far ad the weight back like using a tungsten guide rod. Take weight off moving parts. Ad weight to non moving parts.

Blue. IIRC, the original owner (I'm the 4th) had it blued, with the intention of getting it hard chromed or something.

Edited by Quack

So I have a long dust cover on a limited .40 that works well and served me for years, but I came to the point that I wish I had a short dust cover due to the versatility.

This may or may not apply to you, but if you ever want to put a .22 conversion upper on your 2011 frame down the line, the long dust cover is just too long. It sticks out and looks pretty horrid.