Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA vs SA Only for L10?

tortuga

Currently shooting a Sp-01 Shadow in Production. I would like to put a .40 together for L10, and it would be nice if it could function as a backup for production.

I have a 75B-SA in 9mm and a 75B .40 to work with so far, and will swap parts around as needed. Ideally the L10 rig would use the SA frame to get a better mag release.

I really don't mind the DA pull on the shadow, and as I can run cocked-and-locked in L10, is there any reason to keep it SA only? From what I can tell so far a good trigger job should make the DA/SA about the same as an SA when the hammer is cocked.

If I turn the SA frame into a DA/SA than I could use it in Production should the Shadow have any issues.

The SA gun converted to SA/DA isn't, strictly speaking, Production legal. Personally I like to covert to SAO and use a TS trigger to get a longer reach and per/over travel adjustment.

Does the SA pistol have the same trigger bow as the SA/DA, so you just add a disconnector?

The 75B is Production legal; I had one and sold it because the short beaver tail dug into my hand in recoil (my 40 ammo is a little hot to boot).

Edited by kneelingatlas

What he said. You can't (legally) shoot production with an SA frame.

I shoot a 75b/40 (with cgw hammer kit, 85 combat trigger, and various other production-legal tweaks) in production, but I'm planning on classifying in L10 with it since I can get to L10 nationals, but I can't get to production nationals.

I don't know what i'll do as far as starting in DA or starting cocked and locked. live fire testing hasn't shown any significant difference, so I've been starting in DA for steel matches, just for consistency's sake. Certainly it was handy to have a DA trigger the day my mainspring was too light and I was getting a light strike or two on every stage. I just pulled the trigger again and didn't lose that much time.

What do you mean by 'better mag release' on the SA frame?

Edited by motosapiens

Unfortunately you guys are probably right about production rules; kind of of a drag as the base CZ75B is the only one on the list with the small mag release. I'll confess to the club match director if I have to use it in production.

I would love to find out that I am missing something here and there is a better way to drop a magazine. The "0" style mag release on the stock 75B requires a much bigger shift in my grip to release the mag. The pic shows the difference between the Shadow and the 75B at the point where the mag actually drops. The ink mark is for reference - it is where the beavertail sits when in firing position.

mag_release_zps987f324a.jpg

Edited by tortuga

Thanks for the pix. I hope you're not making me buy another gun. I don't suppose you could post a side view pic of the mag release buttons on each gun. I could probably just find it on the internetz, but you have obviously thought about this particular pint quite a bit. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify (and cost me money).

I hope you're not making me buy another gun.

Sorry bud, but welcome to the club! If you look at the mag release on this pic it shows the "D" style release, this is the same frame cut on the SP-01, SA, etc. as far as I can tell. The standard 75B in polycoat is the only one that doesn't have it.

75_SA.jpg

I've shot so much production that the da stroke is meaningless. I would go DA/SA with a short reset disconnector . Try the 85C O style release . It is slightly longer and checkered. Or even just build on up with JB Weld.

Unfortunately you guys are probably right about production rules; kind of of a drag as the base CZ75B is the only one on the list with the small mag release. I'll confess to the club match director if I have to use it in production.

I would love to find out that I am missing something here and there is a better way to drop a magazine. The "0" style mag release on the stock 75B requires a much bigger shift in my grip to release the mag. The pic shows the difference between the Shadow and the 75B at the point where the mag actually drops. The ink mark is for reference - it is where the beavertail sits when in firing position.

mag_release_zps987f324a.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Never even noticed that before.

I am starting to think that the problem might be related to my grip. I'll experiment with that. I tend to grip the pistol like I would a wheelgun ,with the trigger under the first joint of my finger. This would also explain why I didn't think the DA pull was a big deal as that makes a huge difference in leverage as opposed to using the tip of your finger.

As I am going to monkey around with a SA pistol that grip just won't work as it makes the safety difficult to work as well. I am going to try a more thumb-forward towards target kind of grip. I will also hang up the wheelguns for a bit.

This is worse than golf.

Sometimes when you find yourself standing out alone from the field, it is because you know something they do not. More often it is the other way around.

what were the time differences when you compared your reloads between the two styles of mag-release? How much time is it costing you to shift your grip?

I don't really stress about it, because I'm doing other things at the same time (reaching for my mag and bringing the gun closer to my chest while shifting one way, and inserting the mag and reacquiring the target while I'm shifting the other way).