Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow rear sight removal

Suff

Is there something special I am missing on the Shadow? I have the fixed rear sight and it needs adjustment. After removing the set screw I have went as far as hitting a punch with a 5lb sledge hammer. I've managed to scuff the sight up but it won't move! Is there something special I am missing?

Bigger hammer?

You might try some penetrating oil but mine all took a fair amount of fore to move/remove. The largest punch you can fit on the rear will minimize the dimpling and scarring. My first one looks like a rat gnawed on the sight...

CZC had a sight pusher tool at SHOT, I don't know if it's released or not but that could be another option.

I think there is some loctite from the factory that needs to be loosened with heat.

I wondered the same thing. I hit it with the torch last night also. That thing is on there for sure!

I guess I'm going to pick up a sight tool.

Here's a writeup I did on my experiment with a CZ and a sight pusher tool:

That's a no go on the sight pusher :embarrassed:

The low profile CZ slide we all love is too low for the sight pusher tool; this is compounded on my TS by the deep cut of the slide which sinks the dovetail even lower in the slide:

2012-09-12_19-14-19_428.jpg

The instructions provided say to use shims under the slide to get it up high enough for the pusher to make contact, but with the TS slide I had to use .38" of washers to get the sight into place; with the sight this high in the vise jaws, the moving block tipped out of square causing the slide to slip out the top:

2012-09-12_19-25-40_641.jpg

The vise blocks are .75" tall, with .38" of shims, that leaves .37" of slide in the vise, however, because of the shape of the TS slide:

IMG_20120912_193910.jpg

The bottom .21" is narrower and does not make contact with the vise jaws, leaving only the top .16" of the vise jaws to grip the slide. I thought of ways to make new sight jaws with the correct geometry for CZ slides, but alas, the center lines of the two threaded bolts are too far apart in the frame to make it work. It could work if the pusher blade was .38" longer and corresponding grooves were cut in the vise blocks, but I fear the torsional forces would be to great on the aluminum block and it would bind up rather than push the sight.

Oh well, I guess it's time to find a brass punch and beat the sight over...

I found that it wasn't a lack of force from the hammer, but too much give in my vise (bolted to my workbench); I actually clamped my slide to my work bench right at the leg and struck downward at the sight; it was still tight, but I was able to get it to move then. Aerokroil penetrating oil helps too.

Edited by kneelingatlas