Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft Mania!

When I was looking for a thumb rest to put on my Limited gun, I stumbled across one for an airsoft gun; it looked nicer than the offerings for 2011s and was $16 shipped, so I said "what the hell, aluminum is aluminum right?" I did some modifications to make it fit my hole pattern and it worked out great:

IMG_20130203_105037_994_zpsfb547a65.jpg

With my little Tanfo Open project I've been having a hell of a time finding a good comp, since the small frame has a smaller diameter barrel than a 2011 I'm stuck with the offerings from Numrich (the three port aluminum 9mm comp they sell is actually for .40 and the two port leaves something to be desired). One day, surfing the web I came across a compensator for an airsoft gun?!? I figured for $13 shipped I would check it out:

IMG_20130314_202652_201_zps320cc1de.jpg

The exit hole was already just about right for 9mm (~0.38") so I drilled out the threads and threaded female M14X.75 threads and here it is:

IMG_20130314_212752_178_zps27d10cac.jpg

I went to the range, shot it today and I'll be damned: it worked pretty well! With major loads it was very flat, but it doesn't have a lot of baffle area, it was pretty hard on the hand. Pretty awesome if you ask me!

Edited by kneelingatlas

It's scary how close a lot of the air soft stuff is to real guns.

You ain't lyin'. At one point, an airsoft gun manufacturer copied a M4 lower in 1:1 scale...complete with full auto selector switch, full auto hammer, sear, auto sear, and disconnector (hammer activated gas system). Some folks (and BATFE) figured out if you had a real upper with all the other right parts, it full shoot full auto. :blink: Granted, the receiver was probably made of crap quality aluminum and might not hold up that long (even though most of the stress would probably be in the upper), but it was enough that BATFE raided a place and I think prohibited that airsoft model from being imported.

I've used airsoft replica parts (mainspring housing, magwell, etc) without problems. It was kind of funny to see that the mainspring housing in airsoft gun that didn't use a mainspring at all still had all the holes in the correct location to work for a real gun.

Edited by mpolans

It easier to copy than innovate.

Be careful though, none of the most widely used comps are aluminum. I think aluminum comps are pretty much relegated to 22's. Aluminum isn't aluminum. There are literally thousands of different recipes and they have really characteristics.

It easier to copy than innovate.

Be careful though, none of the most widely used comps are aluminum. I think aluminum comps are pretty much relegated to 22's. Aluminum isn't aluminum. There are literally thousands of different recipes and they have really characteristics.

Glock comps tend to be aluminum due to the sensitivities of weight at the end of the barrel. I've seen aluminum comps used on 1911 based guns with .38 super major. Worked well, but they tend not to last as long, especially with major loads using lots of slow burning powder. That said, I doubt the aluminum used in the airsoft comps is billet T7075...it might not last more than a mag or two.