Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's hollow base causing burning powder blowback?

rutilate

I am getting partially burned powder blown back into my face when shooting my M&P .45. Could it be that the Berry's hollow base is deflecting the charge backwards?

I'm shooting .45 with Berry's 185gr hollow base round nose. I'm loading Titegroup 4.7gr. I didn't have any problem with the same load and Montana Gold 230gr. bullets. I see that this powder charge is similar to what many are using here.

I'm wondering if it is possible that the hollow base is forming a parabolic deflector and blowing burning powder backwards along the gaps in the slide. Alternatively, is it possible that the bullets are not seated far enough, allowing the bullet to leave the case mouth before the powder has fully burned and only partially pressurized? Any thoughts?

I have used the Berrys HB and never had what your dealing with happen. I use titegroup 4.6 ,OAL 1.250 with 230 Rainier RN and can't tell the diff between the two. Are you taper crimping a little. Pull a bullet and crimp just enough to put a slight ring around the bullet. To much and you will cut the plating. Not Good.

5.6 231 WW 185GR Berry's HBRN at OAL 1.236 to 1.24 **

Shot several hundred at least in Springfield 45XDM 5.25"

Never noticed such an issue here. But, I'm half zombie.

I may go shooting today and if I remember I'll drag some along and double check.

** I can state to such a degree I just checked 10 rounds using my new used (ebay find) Mitutoyo 8" caliper. Farking thing is accurate to that degree. I checked against 2

mics, it is so sweet it makes me giddy.

I have used the Berrys HB and never had what your dealing with happen. I use titegroup 4.6 ,OAL 1.250 with 230 Rainier RN and can't tell the diff between the two. Are you taper crimping a little. Pull a bullet and crimp just enough to put a slight ring around the bullet. To much and you will cut the plating. Not Good.
5.6 231 WW 185GR Berry's HBRN at OAL 1.236 to 1.24 ** Shot several hundred at least in Springfield 45XDM 5.25"

My OAL is 1.30 and is actually a bit long. I incorrectly assumed that the OAL wouldn't change between Montana Gold and Berry's. I have only enough crimp to remove case belling. What happens if rather than pulling, I merely push them deeper into the case using the seating die? Will this allow greater pressure build-up?

To maintain the same power factor (momentum), I need to increase powder behind the lighter bullet. But I confess to being confused as a lighter bullet (mass) should require less powder to accelerate (force), so having the same powder load behind a slightly lighter bullet shouldn't be enough to cause a low pressure situation.

What direction is the wind from where you shoot ??

There wasn't any wind during this trial.

Edited by rutilate

I am not familiar with Titegroup, but I was thinking the powder charge was a little heavy for the bullet weight. I use Clays in 45 ACP and when changing from a 230 gr jacketed bullet to a 185 gr jacketed bullet I reduce the powder charge a little.

No comment on that powder and charge as I am not a user of such.

But I'll toss in on the query on reseating. I'd just re-seat lower to what you want if you feel those are a tad long. As long as you are not compressing

powder anyway. I'd not fuss with re-taper crimp either this is straight wall 45acp I don't see a issue really. You'll know after you re-seat a few and inspect

with magnifying glass.

Note, I am just a chimp. Any and all advice given the user assumes all risk, as the user fully acks that the advice was taken from chimp.