Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm crimp

Red Ryder

I recently realized that different manufacteror's brass can have varying case wall thicknesses. This can affect your crimp. Thicker case walls mean tighter crimp if you don't adjust the die. :( I do sort my brass by maker. I like to keep it around 0.376 to 0.378. This can be a little tight in my EGW case check, but barrel checks fine.

How much is too much crimp for FMJs? 0.375? 0.374?

I have always sorted every piece of brass by headstamp. I have tried to be OK with using mixed brass for minor/plinking loads, but the OCD will not let it happen. I had some bullet setback issues ONLY when using FC brass and MG 115 JHP bullets. Having same-headstamp brass made it very easy to identify and fix the problem.

I run between .376-.380. I don't sort brass, I think you people are nuts! Unless you're shooting BE, I just don't get it.

Sure, my SD will be higher, but IMHO, it doesn't make enough of a difference. :D

Edited by polizei1

Maybe my EGW chamber checker is a little tight. Unless the round is 0.376 or less, they just don't drop freely. And yes, I clean the chamber checker because the Hornady One shot will build up on it over time.

I run between .376-.380. I don't sort brass, I think you people are nuts! Unless you're shooting BE, I just don't get it.

Sure, my SD will be higher, but IMHO, it doesn't make enough of a difference. :D

When you get that new 650 putting out 1000 per hour you will appreciate sorted brass more. When I pull the handle on a different headstamp I can feel the difference. They all feel different when sized, seating a primer, belling, and crimping. When you mass produce you want everything to feel exactly the same so when you feel something different that says there is something wrong with the brass. And as stated FC is notorious for having thinner walls so a Udie works great to insure everything you load will not set back on you. And as you mentioned oals are different between headstamps so SD will vary. I am confident that being so anal about my ammo has been the key reason I don't have issues when I shoot it.

Sarge can you explain bullet setback please?

Ohh I just started sorting.... I dont think its a big deal to do so I will continue on.... what is the "best" head stamp in your opinion ?

Edited by fireman489

Sarge can you explain bullet setback please?

Ohh I just started sorting.... I dont think its a big deal to do so I will continue on.... what is the "best" head stamp in your opinion ?

Setback occurs when there is not enough neck tension on the bullet. What happens is the bullet gets pushed or set back into the case which decreases case volume and therefore raises pressure. Reduce case volume by too much and you get dangerous pressures which can and do blow up guns. Next time you reload try each headstamp you loaded by pushing hard against the work bench. If none of your bullets will push into the case then fine. If they do push into the case then you have problems. Thinner case walls lead to less sizing which leads to less tension.

I only reload Win, RP, CCI/Speer/or FC. Other than that I collect it and sell it off once a year.