Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bear creek 40 sw 180 grain and clays any data

tiger49931

Congratulations on scoring the Clays! I love it, burns clean and has mild recoil. We're not talking International Clays or Universal Clays- just straight Clays, right?

Try 3.0 grains of Clays with the 180 grain bullets at an O.A.L. of 1.125" or longer for minor power loads. Most of the experienced guys avoid Clays in major power loads unless your overall cartridge length is closer to 10mm length (1.26") than .40 S&W, because its considered too fast a powder and too close to the ragged edge for safety. Hogdgon lists maximum as 3.5 grains at about 850 fps (with a jacketed bullet) at 34,000psi. My math shows that's only 153pf, so you can see why most guys avoid it for major at .40 S&W cartridge lengths. The pressure peak at 10mm cartridge lengths seems to be low enough to be practical, but even then most guys still avoid it for major power levels.

I find it a little wierd the 40 sw 180 grain factory load according to wikipedia is 1050 fps which is well over the 916 needed for Major PF and well beyond what is needed for 125k minor. So why would people have such a hard time making major with 40 sw when its a natural? Or is that just because of the clays powder, and there is a better powder out there for this?

Here are some of my loads with the 180 gr FPs from Bear Creek:

Major (170-ish PF):

4.6 gr VV N-320, 1.180" OAL

4.8 gr WST, 1.180"

Minor (135-ish PF):

2.9 gr Clays, 1.180" if I'm shooting it in my STI's or 1.140" if in my Glock 35

I'm not brave enough to use Clays in .40 major loads...

ok then what powder would be better i have a few LBS of wst that i was gonna use for my 9MM loads. i can keep my clays for my 45.

WST works great for major in the .40. Hogdgon's reloading data website lists max velocity as 888fps with a jacketed bullet @ an OAL of 1.125" and with the Bear Creeks you might make major with their listed maximum load, because jacketed bullets tend to be slower. Get (or borrow) a chronograph and work up from say 4.0 grains of WST or so at your OAL and in your gun (other guns may differ and shorter OALs will differ and can cause severe problems). Happy reloading and take care.

Anybody know if bear creek is accepting any orders. Most of the moly coated manufacturers are not accepting any orders right now until they get caught up.

placed an order for 1500 180gr .40's and 1500 125gr 9mm's on 3/6 and they said they were in stock but still have not recieved them yet.

Edited by noexcuses