Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Bench Material

Franco79

I know there are hundreds of pages of Reloading Bench ideas on here. One thing I did not see was a bench built out of Pro Poly. Its that heavy compressed plastic that they are now building septic tanks out of. I can get it at 1" thick and any width and length. A piece of 1" wood board at 3' wide and 6' long will flex more than a piece of Pro Poly at the same size.

Just curious to see if anyone has used this material to build a bench with

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, as long as you can get it and it's cost is reliative to wood. FWIW, I created my whole bench out of a sheet of 4x8 MDF and some scrap 2x4's. I'm in it like $60.

Might make a great bench top. I'm not familiar at all with that material though.

If it doesn't stink up the room with outgassing anyway.

I just used 2x8x8 planks for my bench top then polyurathaned the thing. Surface is flat enough after I screwed it down to the 2x4 box frame below it, used drywall screws for that, well actually DECKING screws which are just fancy ass drywall screws. I'm sure a carpenter will jump me on that statement.

I did plane some here and there but I had picked out myi 2x8x8 lumber with some care and they were about as flat as one could wish for such a

application.

If I was extra picky I suppose I would have glued some melonite or similar top on to avoid the seams. The tiny seams between 2x8's dont' bother me.

I did use long ass clamps to help me snug that bench top before screwing the boards down though. Had to do some board flipping to find the best seam match.

My bench top is made of 2x4's and 2x6's and then covered with a sheet of 3/4" plywood (G1S) and painted white. It's over 20 years old, has been moved to different houses 3 times.

Rock solid.

I'm welding up a frame for an addition to my present reloading station (bench) out of 1.5" square tubing. Once the frame is finished I am going to cover the frame (top) with MDF. The addition will be approx. 2' x 6'. I'll be able to mount my Lube/Sizer and two Lee BreechLock Presses. I'll put a back on the top to keep most of the stuff from rolling back behind the bench.

I used kitchen counter tops with base cabinets reinforced with 2x4s. I have two setup back to back attached on one end to the wall and the other end to the floor. It is solid and does not move. One side has a 1050 and 650 mounted the other has a 650 and 550 mounted.