Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Optics Division- Shotgun question

I am going to start shooting 3-gun this fall, and going through the rules I had a question. What are the rules regarding modification of the shotgun tube? Is it legal, is there a specific capacity that you are limited to? Or can you run a tube as long as you want?

Thanks guys!

It depends on the match. Most are 8+1 at the start and unrestricted after the start. Some, with an empty chamber start allow 8 in the gun, some 9.

There are a few that allow no more than 8 in the tube at any time. Blue Ridge used this rule the last three years. I ran mine with a 9 round tube and a plug there.

You ought to start shooting this spring. There are a lot of matches around and you can certainly beg and borow equipment.

It depends on the match. Most are 8+1 at the start and unrestricted after the start. Some, with an empty chamber start allow 8 in the gun, some 9.

There are a few that allow no more than 8 in the tube at any time. Blue Ridge used this rule the last three years. I ran mine with a 9 round tube and a plug there.

You ought to start shooting this spring. There are a lot of matches around and you can certainly beg and borow equipment.

Mark

What start/capacity rule will we be used at the Noveske/Co match this year?

Tube as long as you want, only limit number of rounds at a time.

Just remember some matches require that capacity does not exceed division limit, i.e., the tube is not capable of holding more than division limit. In this case, a plug is ok.

And, do not wait. Start now.

• 1 year later...

So the 9 rounds limit depends on which version of Multigun you are shooting and what the Match Director has decided?

It doesn't depend on which "version" of multigun, but on the match. There are no "versions", but when a match director puts forth the time and effort into designing and running a match, he gets to decide on the rules the participants will follow if they decide to shoot his match.

Someone smarter will probably correct me, but as far as I can tell, there are two 'umbrella' organizations whose rule sets are used in toto at multiple matches - USPSA and 3GN. (There's also an IDPA Multigun, but they still seem to be quite small.) Everything else is 'outlaw,' where the MD used his/her own rule set, with various tweaks to various rules.

The rules on shotgun tube length/capacity and max load for starting/during are one of the more notable variances.

Someone smarter will probably correct me, but as far as I can tell, there are two 'umbrella' organizations whose rule sets are used in toto at multiple matches - USPSA and 3GN. (There's also an IDPA Multigun, but they still seem to be quite small.) Everything else is 'outlaw,' where the MD used his/her own rule set, with various tweaks to various rules.

The rules on shotgun tube length/capacity and max load for starting/during are one of the more notable variances.

I think umbrella is a misnomer as that would tend to make one think that most matches fall under one of these two rule sets, whereas it's my experience that even on the local match level, far more clubs are running under their own rule sets than a rule set of a national organization.

Yes there are multiple rules sets depending on where you shoot and who's running the match.

For putting together a 3 gun shotgun, more capacity is better if for any other reason than it gives you the option to load up more shells.

Understand what you're getting into before you attend a match because what's okay at one place may be prohibited at another (and that goes for scoring, targets, presentations, procedurals, and DQ's too).

I think USPSA rules end up being a bucket set instead of an umbrella. For example many matches have their own rules, but will either explicitly say anything not covered defer to USPSA, or it is understood. Hardly anyone writes in their rules you can't shoot under walls but it is an understood hold over from USPSA.

Tube as long as you want, only limit number of rounds at a time.

Just remember some matches require that capacity does not exceed division limit, i.e., the tube is not capable of holding more than division limit. In this case, a plug is ok.

And, do not wait. Start now.

I'm thinking the only matches that still have the 8 in the tube limit are matches run by Andy Horner? The Blue Ridge in Kentucky and Task Force Dagger in Florida. The other 62 matches are 9 at start and as many as you can shove in your gun after the beep?