Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with 170gr SWC in KKM barrel

Smokecloud

I have recently acquired a G35 and just put in a KKM barrel, I have been shooting a lot of Lasercast 170gr SWC in my G22 and have about 3000 left, problem is that they dont like to feed in my KKM, they hit the roof of the chamber and stop, jamming the slide partially open. I am setting my oal around 1.136 and running 3.9gr of tightgroup. Should i try seating them to 1.130 and backing the powder off and reworking up, or just abandon and go with the 180 rn fp.

which brings up another question. I usually prefer heavier bullets, but my rcbs carbide die only had one bullet seater, it leaves a ring on the top area of the shoulder of the bullet, what you you guys use for a seater/plug for Lasercast 180 RN FP bullets?

I never had any luck with SWCs in either my G22 or my G24 with KKM barrels. I found when I loaded them long enough to make them feed I had problems with the SWC edge hitting the lead of the rifiling and causing the gun to not lock up completely. I ended up giving up and switching to RNFP/TC's. I shot up the rest of the SWC's in my Witness limited gun and never got any more.

As far as the seating stem ring on the bullet. It is purely cosmetic and won't affect anything but there is a simple way I use to get rid of it. Loosley crumple up a small piece of aluminum foil and stick it up in the die. Run a loaded round up into the die to compress and seat the foil and then seat a new bullet in a case to set the depth. If the foil doesn't stay use a bit of wax/bullet lube on the stem to keep it there. This will take care of the ring.

Neal in AZ

I have no experience with Lasercast bullets in .40, so I can't say about them.

I replaced the barrel in my G22 with a Bar-Sto. Due to the tighter chamber, it is a little less tolerant of the loads it digested. I always ran my loads at 1.135" in both barrels, but the Bar-Sto liked a little tighter crimp. Factory loads always ran fine. Once I figured out the crimp, it ran 100%. This is with Bear Creek and D&J 180gr lead and various jacketed bullets.

thanks guys,

I will try the tin foil trick, sounds like an easy fix. The SWC's feed great in my stock G22 and I tried 200 of them in the stock barrel on the G35 before I settled on the KKM, never a hiccup, but that tighter chamber throws a fit. I crimp them to .421 I plan on trying to get away from lead (tired of the dirty gun and smoke)but need to find a good deal either on a bunch of Montana Gold or some Zero bullets, its just been hard to pass up $37.00 per 1000 (pick up price from lasercast).

Semi-wadcutters are great - for shooting out of a revolver.

There are SO many things that can go wrong when you ask a semi-auto gun to feed a semi-wadcutter that I would not even consider it. Gave up on that bullet design about 9-10 years ago.

There are other considerations more important than price. Ask a person who's about to purchase their 3rd or 4th computer, "What's your budget?" and he's likely to say, "Whatever it takes."

My $.02

Never experienced any feeding problems in my Glock's with Lasercast TC or RN FP bullets (+180 grain) with my Bar-Sto and KKM barrels. But having said that I no longer use that brand of bullet due to the amount of smoke they generate. Currently I use Bear Creek bullets when the match requires a lead bullet to be used i.e. Steel