Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to decide between a SIG or HK for IDPA

strangedays

I guess go with what shoots comfortable for you. I started with a CZ 75 Shadow and transitioned to Glock 34. Took a little while to tighten groups down but I prefer Glock's ability to eat cheap ammo. Also really easy to work on compared to CZ.

There are plenty of people using 1911s from various manufacturers in CDP. I don't see many SIG 1911s and I recommend against them. SIG uses a proprietary slide profile and as a result they won't fit in most 1911 kydex holsters. There is a much more limited selection of holsters that will fit the SIG 1911s. You can't use a weapon-mounted light in IDPA, so the rail is unnecessary.

I hardly ever see HK USPs in IDPA. Their high bore axis and crappy DA trigger is just not conducive to the sport. If you want to shoot SSP, I suggest that you get a Glock 34 or S&W M&P.

Edited by M1911

If you look at what was shot at the Nationals you will see what most of the better competitors are shooting (it is posted in the Tactical Journal on the IDPA web site). Not that that is the only method to pick a gun, but you have to ask why are there so few HK, Sig, & Beretta guns in competition. For this game, they seem to not help the shooter. The rules do not help those guns either. Shoot what you like, that is the main thing, but I would hate to see you spend the money on a gun that may put you at a disadvantage right out of the box. I had a Berretta that I really liked to shoot, but had to compete in ESP against some tricked out guns and eventually sold it. 1911s, 2011s, Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs are what you will run against most of the time in IDPA.

Edited by jlamphere

To echo the above post, it depends on why you want to play the game. If you are playing because you want to go to Nationals and make a good showing, in other words, really be in the game, then I would consider, as others have said, the Glock or M&P. They are proven winners that will give you a lot of satisfactory service.

In contrast, if you want some quality trigger time with the pistol that you really carry for personal protection, then a DA/SA by Beretta, Sig, or HK is fine. You will learn to shoot it more effectively by playing IDPA. The classifier especially makes you "aim small, shoot small" from the DA mode. I have used all three of these brand name service pistols in IDPA and have enjoyed doing so. I am currently using a HK P30 in 9x19.

Sorry, I do not see the point in running a .40, even if it is loaded to minor Power Factor. The nine rules, and for good reason: It is the best compromise among power, performance, cost, availability, and reliability.

Edited by TNK

At the risk of being repetative, I'm going to echo some of the opinions already stated. Last year I shot with an M&P9, which was, along with the Glock 34(and 17), was by far the most common pistol used. Even in the SSP division most had been modified with FO sights, lighter triggers, and stippling where allowed. A few people would shoot a Sig or other DA/SA guns, but they were few and far between. The "gamers" (myself included, my M&P isn't stock) rule the game.

That being said, I'm going to shoot a CZ75 Shadow this year. It's more for giggles and to practice with a different gun than anything else. I doubt, at least initially, I will shoot to my classification of expert. I will most likely be shooting at the SS level initially as I get used to the pistol.

Thanks for all the comments! My sig is my everyday carry gun and I have spent much time on the M&P line of guns, mine was built for Limited in USPSA and beyond changing back for IDPA. I have glocks but don't care much for them also (Don't fit my hands right) I have done the super competition stuff and I am going to give IDPA a try for more of a added training with my everyday gun. In the future I can always switch if I decide to. Thanks for all great input.

FWIW, kind of late and not really reponsive to the OP's question. I started IDPA with a HK 9mm P30L w/LEM trigger and soon went to the M&P 9 Pro with 5" barrel and never looked back. Now I've got several M&P's and the HK doesn't get used much at all.