Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proudprado

I'm a new shooter, as said previously. I've now done the classifier and shot in two club shoots. I got my classifier result almost two weeks after the shoot ... which meant I had to do one club shoot unclassified. The results of the two club shoots are still not available ... one 9 days ago and one 3 days ago. Am I missing the point?

Are you shooting IDPA to compare yourself to others or is it similar to golf ... an individual thing. I can see it being both, but if I still don't know my times 9 days after the shoot, it becomes a bit silly/frustrating. Does it work differently for you guys? Is the scoring maybe a bit difficult?

Despite the query, I have huge respect for the SOs that spend their whole day in the sun, making the shoot possible for newbies like myself.

when i was shooting SSP (was MM at the time), i would compare my scores to a few SS and EX shooters at the club to see how i was doing. Now that i am one of two full time SSR shooters at my club, i compare my scores to the guys who used to shoot with and give them a little grief when i shoot better than them with a revo :devil:

Prado, I can understand how you feel about waiting for scores and not being able to wait for them to be posted.

After many years of shooting and recently having to do the scoring for my local club I now understand why it can sometimes take a bit of time.

Scoring is a huge and meticulous job, and as such is very time consuming. Since most (all) of us in RSA, and most other places in the world, do this for fun and the love of the sport, we have our day jobs that take first priority. I receive at least two emails the very next day after our monthly club shoot inquiring about the results.

Please remember that the scorers are normally shooters too, and in most cases are also the guys and gals who organise and build the stages, and have to pack all the equipment away at the end of the day. After a day like that we all need to just sit on the couch, relax and spend some time with our families, just the same as you most likely do.

The day after the shoot is normally reserved for a bit of family time or allready commited to all those things that needs to be done at home. Most guys doing the scoring do it as soon as they have a bit of free time. Sometimes that might only be late at night during the week following the event. Sometimes life, family and work commitments intervene and the scoring can only be done a bit later in the week or even the week after. Remember these guys/gals do not get paid for this, and do it at the expense of time you get to spend on other things.

So have a bit of patience and some understanding and next time you see the person doing the scoring make sure to say "thank you" and buy him/her a beer. :D

1911aow, 100% ... therefore my not about respect for the SOs. Sorry, I forgot to include the scorers too. But isn't it time to do the scoring electronically? Two weeks waiting just kills the fun of competition, in my humble opinion.

One of the matches I frequent doesn't post scores on line at all. They have a sheet from the month before on the wall so you have to wait a month to see how you did. The rest of the matches get scores on Wed. You could always offer up some of your time time to help figuring out score sheets when the match is over. I try to be one of the first shooters on the last stage so i can figure times for everyone in the squad as they finish the stage.

Edited by Travtastik

You could always offer up some of your time time to help figuring out score sheets when the match is over.

Best idea yet. You are absolutely right that the scores should go out sooner - ideally the night of the match. Now jump right in and help make it happen!

That could be frustrating for me. As a SSP SS competitor I like to see how much progress I'm making against SSP EX and ESP SS. One match director uses Practiscore on his iPhone. Overall combined division times are announced at end of match and details uploaded to Practiscore minutes later.

IDPA scoring is so stupid easy. Set up an excel with the correct formulas, and all you have to do from month to month is plug in shooter's names, times, points down and procedurals. For a 4 match stage should take about <2 minutes per shooter.

Both of the IDPA clubs I shoot with have same day or at minimum next day scores out and on the website.

We're trying to get IDPA at my current club, and I've volunteered to help, if we can do USPSA scoring live with practiscore I'm sure we can do it with IDPA, if not it's something that I could finger jam into a computer in ~10-20 minutes after a match.

One of the clubs I shoot at has individual scoresheets for each stage that get passed to some dude at a laptop as soon as each squad is done with the stage. Scores are online before I'm even home from the match.

There's no real excuse for not posting scores quickly on the internet anymore. However, there's also no point in complaining about it unless you are offering your services to assist.

Hah I agree on both counts. A couple of our clubs around here in Eastern PA use an iPad program. I swear that at one match our scores were uploaded before I had my pistol in my range bag.

The other clubs do it manually, but it's still usually done the same day or if it was and evening match, the next day.

I'll admit I'm on my phone checking to see if the scores are out while I'm in bed ready to go to sleep. I do understand that it's volunteers that are doing the score entry, so I don't give too much grief for having to wait.