Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What trigger weight for my TS?

G34 CORDY

I will be sending my TS into CZ Custom when they get some backordered parts in for my limited build and need to figure out what weight I want the trigger to be? It will get a comp hammer, trigger job with flat trigger. What do you guys recommend for my TS? Thanks

Polishing the sear surfaces and hooks of the stock hammer, in combination with a 13# hammer spring yielded about 1 1/2# trigger pull. I recently switched to the race hammer to see if it could possibly get any better. Before installing the new hammer, I used a felt wheel and automotive polishing compound to put a mirror finish on the hooks and sides where the hammer touches the frame. The weight was not drastically changed, but the overall travel was cut by more than half! The limits of travel created by the pre and over travel are just over one mm at the tip of the trigger.

I played with hammer spring weights from 7.5# to 18# and got trigger pulls from 1# 2oz to 1# 10oz. I actually went with the 18# hammer spring because it feels faster and more crisp.

The only further modification I might try is cutting the spur off the hammer to reduce mass.

G34, I have a recommendation: Rather than worry about the weight of your trigger, focus on obtaining a total absence of creep and a complete suddenness in let-off. If you have those characteristics you may find it difficult (if not impossible) to tell the difference between a one-pound trigger and a three-pound trigger. Of course, you will tell the difference of a New York trigger. Bottom line: A crisp trigger is more important than a light trigger...in my opinion.

Atlas, I bet you already know this, but reducing the mass only will decrease lock time. It has nothing to do with weight of release.

A-G

• 2 weeks later...

G34, I have a recommendation: Rather than worry about the weight of your trigger, focus on obtaining a total absence of creep and a complete suddenness in let-off. If you have those characteristics you may find it difficult (if not impossible) to tell the difference between a one-pound trigger and a three-pound trigger. Of course, you will tell the difference of a New York trigger. Bottom line: A crisp trigger is more important than a light trigger...in my opinion.

Atlas, I bet you already know this, but reducing the mass only will decrease lock time. It has nothing to do with weight of release.

A-G

Based on my experiences, I totally agree with this! But a crisp and light trigger make it even better!