Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE 223 powder

TSDown1

Anyone have experience using a Hornady lock-n-load AP press with CFE 223 powder.

Does it meter very well through this press? I was thinking about trying this powder because

I'm out of H335 and nobody around me has any. Found some CFE 223 I could buy.

Is this powder about the same as H335 or suggest any load data.

Small local gun shop order some couple of months ago for a individual. They called him and he wasn't interested anymore. So I had them hold it until tomorrow. Going back there in the morning to pick up the last 4 pounds. Just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Wanted to do a little research first.

Thanks

The burn rates are actually very similar to BLC-2. The stuff meters well on my Dillon and I'm nuts for how good it shoots. Noticable reductions in gun cleaning time. Works great in 308 too.

Go for it. You may actually even find you prefer it to H355. I know I do.

Picked up that powder today and looking for data. My books don't even list this powder and there web sight only list a few loads. Does anybody have a load that works for you. 55gr bullets to 65gr I could use your help.

Thanks

What it's WORTH !

I have loaded 2000 - .223 Horn sp cant boat tail 55gr FMJ over 25gr CFE.

Stag Arms 3G and a MR-1, meters great and good groups. When loading give it time to all fall in the case.

Have FUN, be SAFE.

Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Been shooting a few different loads with CFE-223 the last couple of weeks. Trying to find a load that works best with my setup. Loads ranging from 25 grains to 27 grains using a hornady 55g FMJ. They all seem to function alright and leave the BCG locked after the last round. I was wondering how fast they were and purchased a Chrony F-1 chronograph to check.

The question that I have is does these numbers sound right to you or is this chronograph off???

Barrel is SS 18" rifle length gas system with a 1-8 twist.

25.0 g. AVG - 2620. FPS

25.5 g. AVG - 2695. FPS

26.0 g. AVG - 2780. FPS

26.5 g. AVG - 2840. FPS

27.0 g. AVG - 2945. FPS

Is the PF 150 for .223 ???

Just looking to see if anybody numbers are about the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you run a 5 shot string with the same powder charge, that the most important spec.

If you can keep your extreme spread within 50 fps

It's a good load. Velocities are a point of deminishing Return. As long as the weapon functions flawless and groups, a 100 fps + or -

Will not be an issue. Just my opinion