Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5 National Title in one year! (?)

Flexmoney

"a great iron sight shooter can always bet [sic] a great open shooter" hasn't actually been proven in any way in any large match that I know of...

Any examples of that last?

Not the Nationals, but Bob Vogel against good competition ( Dave Sevigny, Shannon Smith, Max Michel, BJ Norris, David Olhasso, Manny Bragg, Angus Hobdell) won Open at the 2009 ProAm using his iron sight Limited Glock (which is essentially a modified Production gun)!

Edited by Kali

"a great iron sight shooter can always bet [sic] a great open shooter" hasn't actually been proven in any way in any large match that I know of...

Any examples of that last?

Not the Nationals, but Bob Vogel against good competition ( Dave Sevigny, Shannon Smith, Max Michel, BJ Norris, David Olhasso, Manny Bragg, Angus Hobdell) won Open at the 2009 ProAm using his iron sight Limited Glock (which is essentially a modified Production gun)!

And that is quite a feat!

However, I think that one example doesn't quite equate to "always." :)

Among other things, I think we can easily see it doesn't work that way---because if it did, we wouldn't have people using dots in Open, would we? :)

Yup...the word "always" throws a wrench in it. While its "possible" that a great iron sight shooter can beat a great Open shooter, its not probable. If there were a "5 gun Championship" with a cumulative scoring format I could see someone like Vogel possibly having an advantage using the same or similar gun for 3 divisions though. And isn't a revolver trigger about like a Glock trigger? (jk)

Edited by Kali

I don't know everyone but from what i have personally seen and read, it seems that NIls, TGO, and Jerry do exceptionally well on multiple platforms. I have seen Taran shoot a Single Action Rev. quite well. Olhasso is also in the multi platform mix.

No slight intended for the other National & Regional champions.

Nils and TGO shoot at Rio which I suspect probably has the great percentage of GMs in the country. The competitiveness of that area is quite strong.

USPSA uses a wide variety of targets and shooting scenarios which be advantageous to those shooters with high level of national experience with multiple platforms like Rev/Prod/Lim/SS/Op as opposed to those who specialize in just a couple.

Edited by pjb45

Not to throw a bucket of water on this speculation, but has anyone ever won both back-to-back nationals in the same year? My memory says "No."

Other than Eric Grauffel? :) (Don't know if anyone else has.)

I must admit---I think it would be cool to have USPSA do something like Steel Challenge does with its "Steel Master" title. Participants add the points from the percentages of two from the Open/Limited/L-10/Production nationals, and one from either SingleStack or Revolver nationals, with the top total winning. :) Max score = 300.