Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame Replacement

Chuck D

I have a rather old glock g17 without finger grooves. I'd like to upgrade the frame to the 3rd generation finger groove style. Has anyone shipped a frame to glock for an upgrade such as this ?

I plan on calling them this coming week for a price quote and an estimated time frame.

Thanks !

Chuck D.

Edited by Chuck D

By upgrade I assume you mean replacement, right?

If you have damage to the frame they may work with you but just going to a newer frame, I don't know. You will also have to go thru an FFL transfer since the frame has the serial number.

All of the after market frame mods I've seen involve removing the finger grooves so I don't know if anyone can add them. You could try a Hogue slip on, they have the finger grooves but also make the grip thicker.

I think Nik has a good Idea, selling the Gen 2 (Gen 1 ?) frame. Before you do it though you might want to see who has the Gen 3 frame in stock. You might have to wait.

Dave

I'll be interested to find out. Please post what you find out.

I've only heard about them doing this in the case of damage and the case I'm thinking of the owner had to wait several months because they wanted the same number. Might well be different in your case.

My only first had experience with getting a replacement was with a different brand of pistol and it took 90 days. I was told it took that long because they had to transfer the old number and re-register a new number. That was Bersa and I don't know if it was because of the state regs (NJ) or federal.

I'm sure they'll be helpful, I've never heard anything bad about Glock CS. Hope everything goes well and quickly.

Dave

I would need to keep the same serial number...New York rules you know.

Ah. I seem to remember hearing of them doing that (at least for repairs) for New Jersey owners -- who had the same issue, in that a different serial number would have required applying for/waiting for a new permit to purchase.

But that was probably 10-15 years ago, and I've been in PA for going on seven years now....

Possibly that process might have involved requesting a frame to be imported from Austria at the time, which would have made it a time-consuming endeavor.....

according to block here is how it works...

Send the entire gun and a money order for 100 dollars. Glock provides a letter of destruction for the original frame and issues an upgraded frame with a new serial number.

Everything must be processed thru an ffl dealer. Have to send the entire gun...must get a new serial number.

Thanks for posting the info.

Doesn't seem unreasonable but I wonder if it's your best course. Are Glocks available in your area? The reason I ask is that plenty of people like the grips with no finger grooves. You might be able to sell or trade up. But, I guess this might not be the best time to try and find a decent price on a pistol.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

Dave

NYS is under siege with new gun control laws, especially 7 rounds max in a magazine. Until the court challenges run their course, no new handguns are being shipped into the State and everyone is holding onto everything they have.

I'm certain we will defeat this half-assed law but it will take a while. I think I'll wait and buy another new g17 once the law has been repealed.

NYS is under siege with new gun control laws, especially 7 rounds max in a magazine. Until the court challenges run their course, no new handguns are being shipped into the State and everyone is holding onto everything they have.

I'm certain we will defeat this half-assed law but it will take a while. I think I'll wait and buy another new g17 once the law has been repealed.

Sorry you have to go thru all this amigo.

You won't have any trouble selling that frame when you decide to do so. A lot of us can't stand the finger bumps.