Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is too short an OAL causing this?

Nimitz

I have shot thousands of 124g 9mm thru my G34 with a OAL of 1.08 without issue. A buddy of mine asked to buy some rounds from me to save money & i slod him first 200, then another 500 which he used in is M&P again without issue. A another friend just asked to buy 500 rds which I sold him for his new Springfiled XD. We went to the range today & with the exception on one mag which fired 8 rds without issue in a row, almost all rounds were stovepiping.

Can the rounds be loaded too short & cause this?

As Sarge notes, stovepiping is caused by an undercharged load - relative to the recoil spring strength. The round does not produce enough recoil force to fully eject the fired round because the slide is not moving far/fast enough.

The stovepipe issue is either a feeding issue, or an ejection issue. Which one is it?

Also, I personally think that OAL is too short. IIRC, I measured factory between 1.12-1.15, I make my loads 1.140."

And curious...do you have a license and insurance to sell the ammo?? I know the ATF requires a license to manufacture and sell (if making a profit). What if something happens like a double charge and someone's gun/hand gets blown up? If you don't have a license, that's illegal, FYI.

Edited by polizei1

Rds are sold at what it costs me to make them so nothing illegal is going on

The rds feed fine but the empty case gets stuck straight up and does not eject. I'd always heard that limp writing was a probable cause. The underpowered load is interesting since these rds are my STD USPSA production load at 130 PF. He is not a USPSA shooter and the gun is brand new with less than 200 rds thru it ...

If its just a matter of increasing the PF of the loads for him that's an easy fix. I'll make up a few rds and see if there is any difference.

Rds are sold at what it costs me to make them so nothing illegal is going on

The rds feed fine but the empty case gets stuck straight up and does not eject. I'd always heard that limp writing was a probable cause. The underpowered load is interesting since these rds are my STD USPSA production load at 130 PF. He is not a USPSA shooter and the gun is brand new with less than 200 rds thru it ...

If its just a matter of increasing the PF of the loads for him that's an easy fix. I'll make up a few rds and see if there is any difference.

You should ,as a rule, not be talking about selling ammo. I'm not going to broadside you like polizei did but you should not advertise it as it is not legal nor wise to do.

I would turn those rounds up a few notches and see if they run better in the gun. And to rule out limp wristing let other folks shoot it and see what happens.

Thx, I'll just be making ammo for myself from now on, don't really want the hassle of tweaking loads for different guns even if it was ok to do so ...

I ended up using 1.08 because of a bullet profile I got early on would only work that short. Once I switched to MG JHPs I discovered they worked in my gun at that OAL so I just decided not to fiddle with it. However, I just switched to Extreme bullets for my practice ammo so since i'll need to reset anyway I'll look at lengthing the OAL a little ...

Try a few different lengths and test them for accuracy as well as feeding. When I make test batches, I like to use 1.12, 1.14, 1.15, and 1.16. Those are "common" OAL's for 9mm, I just figure out which one works best with the powder weight I've chosen.

I'm using 124gr Precision Delta bullets with 4.5gr of Win 231, OAL - 1.140" right now. Great load. I bought HP-38 (same as 231), and MG 124gr CMJ's this time around.

Edited by polizei1

Thx, I'll just be making ammo for myself from now on, don't really want the hassle of tweaking loads for different guns even if it was ok to do so ...

I ended up using 1.08 because of a bullet profile I got early on would only work that short. Once I switched to MG JHPs I discovered they worked in my gun at that OAL so I just decided not to fiddle with it. However, I just switched to Extreme bullets for my practice ammo so since i'll need to reset anyway I'll look at lengthing the OAL a little ...

If you have a press with swappable heads, have the buddies invest in just enough gear to use your press and let them make their own.

i could do that but that's kinda a hassle as well. One of the things I liked about the shorter OAL is it let me drop the charge slightly. WST being a high vol powder filled up the case pretty far at 4.6 grains. 1.08 let me drop the charge a bit & still make 130 pf.

Why is accuracy affected with a relatively shorter OAL than a longer one? Is there any other reason shorter is not as good as longer?

OAL affects the pressure as well. Some people say that near-compressed rounds in 9mm tend to be more accurate, because the powder isn't moving around in the case. I have no idea if that's true or not. I just test several and find out which one's more accurate with whatever powder weight I'm testing.

Given that Im shooting USPSA I'm not sure how much effort I want to put into tweaking accuracy since I know my gun is sightd in correctly and I know my POI out to 25 yds. If I was a bullseye shooter than it would be different but the A zone is pretty big ...