Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going from Recoil Master to FLGR

MC1

I was reading the thread titled above that started in May of 2012. Everyone said it's a good thing to switch from a recoil master to a FLGR. No one said why?

Can anybody help me out with the pro's and con's for this move. I just got a 2011 pistol that had a full length guide rod and I ordered a recoil master for it. My reasoning is to reduce perceived recoil. I have arthritus in my wrists and this has helped in my CZ's using springco recoil reducer's.

I switched from recoilmaster to FLGR in a stock Edge. Reason is my recoilmaster bent causing the slide to bind while in a match. I love my Edge and STI so no hating, Had a RangerII with recoilmaster that was never a problem. Anything mechanical can break. Cost of FLGR was cheapest/ quickest fix although I am sure STI would replace the recoilmaster. Haven't checked with them.

I believe that was my thread. My reasoning was that the recoil master was only one set-up to try to tune your gun to your liking. The recoil masters come in "light" and "heavy". A FLGR can be used with many different springs to help you balance your loads with your gun.

You can buy 2 recoil masters for $90-$100 or you can buy a FLGR for $30, used the reverse plug on your gun and get 6-10 different springs to try for the same price.

I have a Recoilmaster in my STI 1911 with an after market recoil spring. The gun is tuned to my load and the front sight moves straight up out of the rear notch and straight back down into the notch. I have not had a problem with the Recoilmaster. I do remember years ago there was quite a bit of trouble with the RMs breaking but I have not heard much lately.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that was my thread. My reasoning was that the recoil master was only one set-up to try to tune your gun to your liking. The recoil masters come in "light" and "heavy". A FLGR can be used with many different springs to help you balance your loads with your gun.

You can buy 2 recoil masters for $90-$100 or you can buy a FLGR for $30, used the reverse plug on your gun and get 6-10 different springs to try for the same price.

May i ask where you buy recoil masters for $45 to $50 each.. I just ordered a STI Steel Match and i would like to buy a few "SPARE PARTS" for JUST IN CASE...

tia

I like to tune springs to Loads and the full length guide rod set up allows this. I have one pistol a five inch build like an Eagle that just works best with a heavy recoil master. I've tried tungston and steel guide rods with several spring weights. My other pistols and Eagle in 45 and an Edge in 40 like the full length guide rods.

May i ask where you buy recoil masters for $45 to $50 each.. I just ordered a STI Steel Match and i would like to buy a few "SPARE PARTS" for JUST IN CASE...

tia

You're right, they are $85 a peice on Shooters Connection, but that only reinforces my point that you can get a FLGR for $30-$40 and get 5 different spring rates to try for the same price as a new recoilmaster. I have seen the RMs in the classifieds for $40-$50 every now and then.