Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locktite on Barrel Nut

Trey A

I am putting a few uppers together, My question is whether to put locktite on the barrel nut . My concern is when it comes time to remove it, I have a good receiver block but I am afraid that the aluminum will give when it comes time to remove it. Also if it is recommended then blue or red ? On one receiver I am putting a JP handguard on it and it says to put red on the adapter and anti-seize on barrel nut side . That's not too bad because I probably won't change the hand guard and will be able to get the barrel out . Is there any point in using the blue ? Or is it pointless ? Any recommendations ?

As a mechanic that's what my thought was , if it were to move slightly then the gas tube would "lock" it from going any farther . I don't know where I got the locktite from but glad I had second thoughts. Thanks guys!!

And nothing on the extension. Some people grease the extension, but it can negatively affect accuracy.

A bit confused... How is it possible to grease a barrel nut and not grease the extension?

The barrel extension. The bit that slides into the upper receiver and has the locator pin in it.

While I don't recommend it, plenty of folks use loctite on the barrel extension and/or nut. For example, if you check Zedicker's AR book, I believe he uses red loctite on both. Not saying it's right or wrong, but there is a reason for doing it. Of course getting everything apart, paricularly with the red stuff, will be quite a project.