Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

proud new owner! of a 550b question.

Hello all!

I’m the new owner of 550b. I would like to say thank you for the support that I got in helping me make a good decision. But now I have a question. On the Xl650 they have a quick change primer swap “650 Priming Quick-Change assembly” if I understand correctly this is used to switch between large and small primers more quickly? If so does the 550B have anything like it? Or is it a different set up? If there is something that I need please let me know so I can get it. Thank you for shining any light on this question.

DJ

War Thunder....

For the RL550 you have the Priming 'stack' which is the primer magazine tube and the attached 'foot' (the part that attaches with the two allen head screws). Inside the 'foot' is where the small or large primer feed roller. This is the part you take off to change the primer size.

You could buy a new assembly which is under $50 (I think...I'm at work). This would allow you to keep a small or large setup at the ready. Then all you have to do is raise the ram, unscrew the tube, and put in the new one. To be honest, this doesn't speed it up dramatically.....but this is the closest to a quick primer switch.

OR..you could do what any good Dillon guys do...buy two !! Then you can have small on one and large on another :)

That help?

Jay

Hello all!

I’m the new owner of 550b. I would like to say thank you for the support that I got in helping me make a good decision. But now I have a question. On the Xl650 they have a quick change primer swap “650 Priming Quick-Change assembly” if I understand correctly this is used to switch between large and small primers more quickly? If so does the 550B have anything like it?

No, you cannot buy anything for the 550 that will speed up changing the priming assembly. (If you could it would be in my store.) ;)

• 4 weeks later...

On the general topic of new ownership of an RL 550B, I have one on order and am expecting it soon.

Any hints on reloading bench layout ? My bench top measures 42" X 20". I will be using the strong mounts.

Any hints to help me avoid blunders in the initial installment of the press on the bench ?

First, bolt the press together with the Strong Mount, then lower the handle all the way down, then make sure there is at least an inch of clearance between the handle and the bench, before you bolt the Strong Mount to the bench.

On the general topic of new ownership of an RL 550B, I have one on order and am expecting it soon.

Any hints on reloading bench layout ? My bench top measures 42" X 20". I will be using the strong mounts.

Any hints to help me avoid blunders in the initial installment of the press on the bench ?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19635

With the strong mount it is best to give yourself room on either side of the press. On the right side of the press I have a container of cases beside the case tray, and a container for the loaded cartridges. On the left side I have a container of bullets beside the bullet tray . My tubes of primers are above and behind the press so that I can easily reach a fresh tube, set it on top of the primer magazine, drop the primers and set the empty tube upside down back into its holder. This way once I get cranking I do not need to walk away from the press unless I need to refill the powder hopper, and the powder is only a couple of steps away on a shelf. I modified the output chute and tray so that the completed cartridges travel down a PVC tube to a larger container that will easily hold 500 to 600 of them.