Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI style pistol question

jackson923

I noticed on a couple of episodes of 3GN several of the shooters would grasp the front of the slide and easily rack the slide with just their thumb and open palm, is this because of light springs? I also notice very little recoil in multiple shots, is this do to light powder loads and heavy bullets? Just trying to figure out how heck their doing this, I'm running a production S&W M&P 9mm and just wondering if I can get it to produce the same results with a little work.

Thanks

Light springs with custom fitted slide/frame makes these guns very easy to rack. As for low recoil, yes some loads are pretty light but mostly its grip and control techniques.

In my opinion you will never get a Glock, M&P etc to shoot as soft as a 2011 at a given power factor. 2011's are just so much heavier.

But the Polymer guns can get pretty soft shooting with 147 grain bullets and a good powder combo.

Adding stationary weight in the form of full-length and/or tungsten guiderod, heavy magwell, weighted magazine basepads will also helo to keep pistol from moving as much in recoil. One of the biggest issues, recoil-wise, with the M&P is all the reciprocating mass in the slide. Just a hefty hunk of steel. Lighter recoil springs may also help with both reliability and movement in recoil/recovery.

Adding stationary weight in the form of full-length and/or tungsten guiderod, heavy magwell, weighted magazine basepads will also helo to keep pistol from moving as much in recoil. One of the biggest issues, recoil-wise, with the M&P is all the reciprocating mass in the slide. Just a hefty hunk of steel. Lighter recoil springs may also help with both reliability and movement in recoil/recovery.

I found a Tungsten guiderod and springs, little confused on the springs though they range from a #11-#20. Which would you recommend, I'm guessing the #11 is a lighter spring? Wanna make sure before I order.

Thank you,

George

Recoil spring is dependant on load and even striker spring weight. Lots of the 9mm guys are running something in the 10-13# range. Cant go too light unless you lighten the striker spring though. As far as the guiderod goes, SSS has been my source, and they have been my magwell choice as well.

jackson923 sorry didnt get back to you. my limited setup is for a glock 35. i was just referring to adding the extra weight up front for a guide rod and weight at the base pad. it really does help with the recoil, balances alot better and helps with follow up shots. as far as the m&p goes i sold mine switched to glock as parts more available at the time i was building a limited gun. the m&p was a nice shooter really liked it, thought it felt better in hands then the glock.