Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP captured buffer

midget

Alright, I finally got mine yesterday. It is amazing! However I have a question for you guys (trying to avoid clogging JP's phones). Have any of you guys swapped out the springs with a spring that is lower power? I noticed that it is a lot higher power than my stock setup.

I have not but the captured spring was a direct replacement for my LMOS buffer/spring even with the gas block turned pretty low. I have the gas set to 1/2 turn open past just locking the bolt back.

Awesome! This is what I was looking for. I am waiting on my WOA barrel right now so I haven't had a chance to shoot with it.

Yes, it was short cycling and not locking back on an empty magazine. I talked to them before sending it in and they sent me a lighter spring. But I couldn't get it apart, even after heating it up pretty good. So I sent it back and let them do it.

I started with 2 or 3.

Cool! Thanks! Did you just keep testing it till it ran the way that you wanted or did you take measurements of the force that you wanted?

MarkCO told me he trimmed his and I couldn't remember what he told me he ended up with so I start with a couple. Its softer but I also turned up my gas. The safest bet would be to email JP and get the softer spring which is what I still need to do.

I sent JP an email earlier this week describing the issue that I was also having with the slide not locking back reliably with the SCS installed. The technician agreed that I need a lighter spring and they are going to send me one at no cost when they get them back in stock. Great customer service from these guys!

They suspected the BAD lever on mine as well. I removed it and it did make a difference because it started to lock the slide open about 25% of the time but still no where near 100%. I hope that the lighter spring will allow me to reinstall the BAD lever ( which I really like) and still lock open reliably.

• 2 months later...

Well, the springs don't come labeled with weights. According to instructions packaged with the captured system, the stock spring is around 15lbs.

It contains a color coded chart that is listed in order of weakest to strongest spring

1. White

2. Black

3. Green

4. Yellow

5. Uncolored

The stock setup comes with a yellow spring. That being said, I put in a white. It is able to strip and chamber a round in the rifle with no problem. It will be this weekend before I can get out and adjust the gas block and test the entire setup. If someone has a way to measure the force of a spring, I would be happy to send the rest to them to develop a reference list.