Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Ghost Rocket Trigger Connector (I Need Help)

GregSmith

Hey Guys!

A question for all of you gun-savvy people out there. I'm a super new shooter and tried my first mod. I just installed the Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector. Took a bunch of times filing, testing, filing, testing to get the trigger to break. I finally got it to break consistently, but here's my concern and question:

When the trigger breaks, it's WAY to the back of the trigger housing. Pre-travel of the trigger is super long. I'm pulling it all the way to the back, then it breaks. The reset is super short. (Like 1mm or 2mm) I love THAT part of it, but I feel like the trigger should break closer to the middle of the trigger housing. (Hope my poor terminology doesn't throw you off.)

This short video shows how I want it to work...and this IS what it does, except it's all the way back toward the grip.

Is it just a matter of filing more of the TCT off? If not, can I do anything to get the break to be in the center of the triger guard? Can a Ghost Rocket connector EVER function like the Glockworx Fulcrum in the video? Obviously, I was trying to save some money by just doing the connector... But I've heard a lot of good things about the Ghost Rocket connector.

I'm ready to be LEARNED! Thanks in advance!

G

Sorry about the double post, wasn't sure which forum topic would be best for this question.

Edited by GregSmith

It will never work like the Fulcrum trigger, it's just not made the same. If you want a trigger like that and want to save some coin, why not try the Zev Standard Trigger. It has the look of stock, while being a custom trigger, and costing almost 1/2 what the Fulcrum trigger does.

http://www.glockworx.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=793696&CAT=3688

No - what you have is fine - that's how it's supposed to be. what you have in the video is all aftermarket parts for the whole trigger assembly. Get the used to the trigger since you are new shooter, especially to Glocks. You will get used to taking up the pre-travel to the point of where the trigger stops before it releases for you rfirst shot. after that, it's all a little release for the follow up shots.

Edited by racerba

It's sounds like you've installed the connector correctly. The "take up" that you describe is normal and the gun is designed that way. The benefit of the little TCT tab is that your reset is really short, which is where speed comes from.

I suggest you shoot what you've got for a while before changing anything. I learned a lot from shooting my Ghost in the beginning. It taught me to appreciate "crispness" in a stock trigger.

Really what I'm trying to say is stop dickering with the gun and go shoot. :D I take the opinion of there's not much you can do to a Glock, they are a good "out-of-the-box" gun.

I now take a wait-and-see attitude when I see a high-level shooters with the newest gun or add-on at the range. If they stick with it for a couple months and and say good things I would consider buying the add-on. Most of the high-level shooters in my area just change out sights, springs and use the dot connector. Some get aftermarket barrels if they run lead. That's about it. I really haven't seen grip tape either.

DNH

It's sounds like you've installed the connector correctly. The "take up" that you describe is normal and the gun is designed that way. The benefit of the little TCT tab is that your reset is really short, which is where speed comes from.

I suggest you shoot what you've got for a while before changing anything. I learned a lot from shooting my Ghost in the beginning. It taught me to appreciate "crispness" in a stock trigger.

Really what I'm trying to say is stop dickering with the gun and go shoot. :D I take the opinion of there's not much you can do to a Glock, they are a good "out-of-the-box" gun.

I now take a wait-and-see attitude when I see a high-level shooters with the newest gun or add-on at the range. If they stick with it for a couple months and and say good things I would consider buying the add-on. Most of the high-level shooters in my area just change out sights, springs and use the dot connector. Some get aftermarket barrels if they run lead. That's about it. I really haven't seen grip tape either.

DNH

Same here. Most will change to a stainless or tungsten guide rod so they can shange spring weights, change the sights, and maybe add a magwell if they are shooting limited. Not much is needed. Spend the extra cash on ammo and go shoot.

Yes, Yes, Yes I know. I've heard that before...save your money and practice. I got it, and I thank you for all of the advice. :goof: Now, can anyone tell me IF there's a way to get the trigger to break more toward the center of the pull with the Ghost Rocket? I'm literally pulling it against the frame to get it to break. Thanks in advance!

... can anyone tell me IF there's a way to get the trigger to break more toward the center of the pull with the Ghost Rocket?...

Not to sound like a jerk but the solution is a different connector or whole trigger assembly. I found that the trigger break point with my Ghost was moved back also.

The adjustable trigger mechanisms housings can shorten the take up and over travel but not where the trigger breaks.

The trigger break point relies on the geometry between the connector that touches the back curved part of the trigger bar. One way to get a lighter pull is to put a slightly different angle on that part of the connector. Think of it like a walking up a slope, a gradual slope will require less force but it is also longer. This is what is happening with the Ghost.

If you're pulling it against the frame to get it to break, as in putting more pressure on the trigger, then you might be twisting the trigger bar to release the striker.

Dry-fire safety precautions apply for this test. Try pulling the trigger while pressing down on the top of the slide. If the trigger doesn't reliably break you may still have a little more to take off the TCT.

At this point I would call Ghost Inc. 305-252-7422 because you've spent enough time asking people who are blowing off work by lurking on a forum.

I'd like to hear what you find out.

DNH

DNH, honesty isn't jerky. Thanks! It sounds like I will eventually just have to drop the coin for the trigger feel I want. (Or get a decent 1911) But knowing about the curved part of the trigger bar is more the information I was looking for. Maybe I polished it up too much on the .25 trigger job? Maybe that's just the way Ghost connectors work etc.

It sounds to me, that to get your trigger the way you want, you need a new trigger like the Fulcrum trigger. I would see if someone were you shoot has one so you can try the trigger out and make sure it'll give you what you want before you spend the coin though.

Yeah, I think I just had an epiphony 10 seconds ago while reading your post. I think I'm trying to make a "cool gun" over a functional gun. I'm in "new shooter wanting new toys" mode. I'm hoping I grow out of this stage soon... But then again, maybe this "mode" is part of the fun of shooting???

I'm sure with enough practice and instruction, I could learn to run the gun well. But if you had the opportunity, wouldn't you rather learn to drive in an Audi over a beat up jalopy? Sometimes I feel like "that guy" on this forum...but I'm going to attribute it to just being really excited about shooting at the moment.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

G

I got the rest of my trigger parts in today and installed them. I now have ghost 3.5lb connector, extra power trigger spring, titanium firing pin safety, and reduced power firing pin spring. And everything is all polished up. I grabbed my friends Glock which has a fulcrum trigger in it. neither of us have the upgraded striker or spring for the striker.

Main difference I could tell between the 2 when taken apart is the trigger bar dimensions. That's what gives him the shorter trigger pull. Put together, his is smoother than mine, but I just can't justify the extra cost right now.

Besides, there are other wizbang parts that you can get first. Like the Tungston guide rod, and brass magwell I ordered earier this week. :D

Edited by Tuflehundon

Greg, I also used the ghost connector as my first mod in a glock 17. I had the same issue and kept on filing on it and did get some improvement. The first few tries the trigger would not even reset, so I just kept taking more off until it was where I wanted it. In the end I used a Zev drop in trigger because all the ghost connector really did for me was shorten the reset.

KLR, I have a feeling that's where I'm eventually going to be. Saving up for a VersaMax right now...which is why I tried to save some on the trigger... I'll try taking a little bit more off. I was thinking I needed to do that anyway. Thanks!!!

Yes! Tungsten guide rod is on the way for me too! Does your Ghost connector have the overtravel stop that you have to trim down or was it drop in? New toys, new toys. new toys!!!

Mine required some fitting and fiddling. But made a big difference in the long run.

But if you had the opportunity, wouldn't you rather learn to drive in an Audi over a beat up jalopy?

Well, the Glock is not a jalopy...and learning is different than buying...you have to learn to walk before you can learn to run...right?

If you want a Ferrari of guns, then you should buy the Ferrari instead of trying to make a jalopy into it...

(don't take what i said in a bad or mean way - just saying)

GregSmith,

If you're "that guy" on the forum that mean's I'm not "that guy" anymore. I willingly give you the title. :roflol:

I've never felt bad about trying out stuff as long as I was safe about it.

Anyway, it sounds like you've learned some of the same stuff I did. On top of that your gun isn't screwed up and you have a better understanding of how it works.

I am just starting to understand the advice "just bring your gun and shoot it" when people ask what they should do with their gear for competition. I think action pistol is a great sport right now where most modern guns will be competitive right out of the box with factory ammo.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

But if you had the opportunity, wouldn't you rather learn to drive in an Audi over a beat up jalopy?

Well, the Glock is not a jalopy...and learning is different than buying...you have to learn to walk before you can learn to run...right?

If you want a Ferrari of guns, then you should buy the Ferrari instead of trying to make a jalopy into it...

(don't take what i said in a bad or mean way - just saying)

Totally agree, and nope. Not mean. But once I learned to shoot the gun stock, there would be a subtle change when I switched trigger that would incur a small re-learning curve...then another when I add a lighter guide rod spring, or a magwell. The more experience I have in shooting, the smaller and quicker the learning curve, but still...a learning curve none the less. Agree? So, I figure since I'm really new to shooting...measure twice, cut once. Is it neccesary? Heck no... But is it fun and exciting? Yep :D

DNH - You are more than welcome to keep the title... I came to the forum all jacked about my Colt .308 competition rifle that I got. Telling everyone how cool it is, and I'd never really even shot an AR platform before. I got slapped around by some veteran guys on here (rightfully so) humbled pretty quick. Not that I have ever thought I was a good shooter. I'm such a noob. But I was, and sometimes still am "That guy" when I get excited. I'm working on it though. ;)

I have a good friend that just kept his stock connector in his 34 and just lightened all the springs ( I think for less than $40) and his trigger feels pretty good. Compared to my zev trigger kit there is not a huge difference. That may be something worth trying.

I have a good friend that just kept his stock connector in his 34 and just lightened all the springs ( I think for less than $40) and his trigger feels pretty good. Compared to my zev trigger kit there is not a huge difference. That may be something worth trying.

if his G34 came with a - connector and he changed all the springs all he had left to change was the trigger/trigger bar in order to have a trigger like yours.

It will never work like the Fulcrum trigger, it's just not made the same. If you want a trigger like that and want to save some coin, why not try the Zev Standard Trigger. It has the look of stock, while being a custom trigger, and costing almost 1/2 what the Fulcrum trigger does.

http://www.glockworx...793696&CAT=3688

The ZEV Tech Standard trigger features a welded tab behind the trigger pad that is not visible (thus being IDPA SSP and USPSA Production legal) that shortens the amount of trigger pre travel. The Competition trigger has a larger tab and a shorter pre-travel. The Tactical version has 10% more pre-travel than our competition trigger which is ideal for a self defense gun. This trigger is primarily for anyone wanting a polymer trigger pad Glock trigger with shortened pre travel, over travel and trigger reset. If you shoot “Stock Gun” class competition such as IDPA SSP or USPSA Production, this is the trigger you will want to have.

Has anyone tried one of Glockworx's triggers mentioned above by Tuflehundon?

Seems like it is essentially a stock trigger with a pad welded on to reduce pre-travel... Curious to see how others like them... Thinking of using one for USPSA Production...

Edited by RaylanGivens