laptop & printer case

I need a case that will hold:

1) my laptop (IBM X30)

2) my printer (HP 450)

3) power supplies for both

4) CD-ROM drive with bus card and cable

5) a 1" or bigger 3-ring binder

6) room to spare

The bag must be compatible for FAA carry-on requirements. I prefer ballistic nylon or similar material, must be rugged.

Any suggestions?

My employer gave us cases - but once my laptop and printer is loaded, along with power supplies, I dont' have room for anything else. They obviously made the buy on the bags without consider those of us in the company who travel extensively.

will the laptop fit in the side compartment of a Dillon range bag? I used one for a laptop case for a bit and it worked really well for me. The center compartment makes a great place to stow bulky items and all the little pockets are good for stashing the tiny stuff. So far I have flown with it about a half dozen times and it has been great.

-ld

Hey Dave,

Try the Brenthaven line of bags. http://www.brenthaven.com/

They make one called the "Oversized" and it looks like it will handle the load you are looking to tote.

I just got a 2 compartment Brenthaven for a client of mine for his new 17" PowerBook and it's huge. It holds his portable printer and lots of accessories easily. The Oversized bag has 3 compartments and is even bigger.

You might also look at the Messenger style bag from Brenthaven

IME, Brenthaven bags hold up to abuse very well compared to others I have beaten to death and seen abused by all of my road dog peers.

--

Regards,

Another thing to try is a 3000ci backpack. I use a Kelty Redwing Classic for my laptop and general crud. It looks like a slightly larger school pack which to me is a bonus as it doesn't scream "Laptop!" to the scum. I mine I fit my Micron laptop, various electronic bits, a rain jacket, firstaid kit, and 30 other small things and I have room to spare. Heck I could even add a hydration pack and not drown the laptop. It would be no problem to fit a small printer in there, or even a desktop model. A nice backpack with compression straps can also be shrunk down to the minimum size so thing dont rattle and roll.

It works for me.

Vlad

I'm an extremely anal "Road Warrior" who travels internationally virtually every month with my notebook PC, and I've been through more cases than I care to remember, but I highly recommend TARGUS products, especially their rolling cases, but the shoulder cases are also great.

Another road-warrior, here.

I have an "everyday" no-name laptop bag, made of out ballistic nylon, with a number of expandable sections that works pretty well.

I also have a samsonite "mobile office" rolling laptop bag, which is pretty cavernous, pretty well padded, and ... well, it is sufficient for a two or three day trip (clothes in one section, computer stuff in the middle, documents in the third) and it easily fits into the overhead.

Got both at Office Depot, each was well under US$100.

Bruce

For really quality bags of all types try Tom Bihn at:

http://www.tombihn.com/

Most of these high quality bags are under $100. I prefer the really minimalist models but they have messenger bags and others that will hold a ton of stuff.

One reviewer noted the "weapons-grade zippers". Gotta love that!

geezer

Edited by geezer-lock