Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer not cocked during rapid fire?

DogmaDog

I was doing some drills Saturday, trying to shoot 6 shots as fast as possible, with no target, just to see what my splits were. Fastest splits I could get were about .15, but I had problems with trigger freeze.

The "gunsmithing" issue is that on a couple of runs, I pulled the trigger and got no response from the gun, and found that the hammer was down. The gun had cycled, because there was a live round in the chamber, but the hammer was down. This happened two or three times when trying to shoot really fast. It didn't happen at all during some bill drills, when my splits were more like .20 or .22

I also had one instance where the gun fired two shots faster than the timer could pick it up. Hard to say if the gun "doubled" because I was trying to get it to shoot that fast, but it may have.

The gun is a Benny Hill "Fat Free 6" ", built with STI components. The trigger is very light (2 lb?).

What could cause this, and how do I fix it?

Thanks much for your help,

DogmaDog

Something similar happened to my open gun with a very lightened slide steel loads and I accidently fired some 150 power factor type loads through it. The slide cycled faster of course and the same type of problem like you're having occured when I tried to go fast. It will do it more often with the 150 pf loads than the light 125 pf loads. I ended up swapping the disconnector with a prepped CS that was polished smooth and the problem disappeared. The thing is I never tried it again with the 150pf loads because those loads were battering the gun to death. Probably how I got a hair line crack formed on my frame. josh

sounds like bad sear spring, it wont react fast enough sometimes, and the hooks on the hammer dont catch the sear in time, so the hammer falls to half-cock. call benny and see what he thinks.

the spring might just need to be retweaked.

bad sear spring or worn-out sear/hammer engagement surfaces -> "Hammer fall". For reasons that I haven't understood yet (must have to do with the amount of time that the reset requires), it seems to occur more frequently when shooting fast splits.

Don't do anything about it, and you may end up with a full auto gun soon....

What you are describing sounds like following down rather than falling to half cock. Two different problems both related to sear engagement and spring weight/engagement. Have you recently done a full tear-down for cleaning? If so check the installation of your sear spring. If not, then call you smith pronto!

geezer

Thanks for the replies.

I did shoot one more match with the pistol, yesterday. The problem reoccured, this time during a weak-hand only string. After the match, I was able to reliably replicate the problem by cycling the slide while gripping the pistol firmly in my left hand, pulling the trigger to the rear, and canting the gun to the right--the hammer would follow every time. In other orientations, or without a firm grip, or when gripped right handed, I couldn't reproduce the problem by dry firing.

Very perplexing, but a problem that can be replicated is much easier to solve than a sporadic, intermittent problem.

Anyway, I gave the pistol to a local gunsmith, and hopefully he'll be able to make some minor adjustments to correct it.

Well, thanks for the help.

DogmaDog

Check out the following thread about this same subject.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16374

Also note that my gun hasn't done it in about 600 rounds, but I have also lock-tighted the upper grip screws since Bob Londrigan put new parts in. He used one of his kits that included new springs.

If you read my entire thread, you will notice several ill-fated attempts to fix this. I am not convinced it is fixed, but it is looking more promising than ever. BTW, I can get .10 splits with it now.

I will be shooting about 1000 rounds per month through this gun, and should be able to reproduce the malfunction if it still exists. I could go 400 rounds before without a malf, but then maybe 6-7 times in one magazine it would occur.

Read the entire thread. You are not alone, SmittyFL, Tewlman, Bdog, and one other nameless pro have had this issue.

Good luck!