Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Course Designs(ers!)

Shooter Grrl

Okay, so here's the deal...

If you're going to design a stage - READ THE RULEBOOK.  Know the rulebook, understand the rulebook, BE the rulebook.  That way you'll understand what you can and CAN NOT do which would prevent 98% of the hassles during a match.

If you're going to design a stage - LEARN TO WRITE procedures that are foolproof easy to follow and follows the rulebook.  You'll prevent 98% of the troubles during a match.

If you're going to design a stage - remember that you're a DAMNED shooter too.  Make them fun, interesting and challenging.  But do NOT make them so hard that no one can complete it without ruining their confidence!!!!

If you're going to design a stage, remember that you're a DAMNED shooter too.  Make them fun, interesting and challenging, make them fun, interesting and challenging, make them fun, interesting and challenging.

YES I REPEATED MYSELF ON PURPOSE!!!  It's an important point!

Most course designer feel that shooters want variety and they have to be different - NOPE!  No way!  We want FUN, INTERESTING AND CHALLENGING.  I do NOT want to shoot through barrels on 8 stages cause that's all the designers could think of that was challening.

I do NOT want to shoot through ports for 8 stages!

I do not want to SQUAT down through 8 stages for those damned low ports - that ain't fun!

If you can challenge me, then I usually have fun.  But I want shooting challenges, NOT PHYSICAL challenges.  I already KNOW I'm physically unable to do alot of things, but I can shoot - so test my shooting skills, please, not my ability to get up off the ground as a starting position.  It WILL take me longer to do this, no doubt about it.  And when I can't win the match because of the physical challenges YOU designed in your stage, I'm NOT having fun!

You volunteered to design that stage.  Take responsibility for the mistakes.  Realize that shooters will push the envelope at all costs, and when one finds your mistake, thank him for teaching you something new today.  And really LEARN from the lesson.  If your weakness was the procedure, write it better next time.  If you blew it on a rule, READ THE FIRST PARAGRAPH OF THIS RANT AGAIN.

And remember that this is FUN and a learning experience and smile and be polite and do NOT take it personally.  We'll all be much better off!

WOW - I've wanted to say that for about 3 years.  Thanks for the forum where I can get it out!

I'm off to shoot a match - wish me luck :-)  

K

Go Girl,

Kick their A$$ on the IDPA stages...

The only reason I shoot IPSC is because my mommy told me I could not run with a knife when I was a young-un..

Don't put me on a bridge and dare me to jump...he he..

I like to be totally suprised by a stage.

Action pistol shooting is pure adrenaline.

I hate bad course descriptions. I wrote an article on how to write course descriptions and submitted it to Front Sight, but I don't think they are going to publish it.

The perfect course description procedure: "Engage targets." Write that first and build your stage around it.

• 2 weeks later...