Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for M2 Barrel length 21" or 24"

tohm

There are a lot of posts out there that discuss this topic, however i thought i would see if there are any new thoughts. I bought a 26" M2 because it's all I could find in this market. Since I am just going to stick one on back order and shoot my FN SLP or this M2 with it's 26" barrel is there any advantage between a 21 or 24"? I plan to just keep the 26"

Tom

I'd like to also add a question with the hope that it doesn't derail.

If you are using a mag tube extension that goes past the barrel why not run a barrel that runs flush (or at least close) to the tube extension?

I see a lot of videos with a tube extension that's half a foot (or so it seems) longer than the barrel, what's the thought process behind that?

I'm a 3 gun newb, never even shot or attended a match as local matches are next to non-existent in central iowa, but I'm trying to learn.

Shoot a couple of matches with the 26" and then see. I have been shooting a 26" M2 for the last year and absolutely love it. Swings really nicely for those clay thrower stages and shoots slugs well.

If you are using a mag tube extension that goes past the barrel why not run a barrel that runs flush (or at least close) to the tube extension?

I see a lot of videos with a tube extension that's half a foot (or so it seems) longer than the barrel, what's the thought process behind that?

A few years ago many matches had a shotgun magazine capacity limit of 8 for limited and tactical divisions. That lead to many people using 21" barrels because it was the same length as an 8 round tube. More recently matches have shifted towards allowing 8+1 at the start and no limit on tube capacity. In order to have more flexibility with when they do shotgun reloads people got longer tubes but kept the 21" barrel since they already had it. If I was getting a new shotgun today I'd get one with a 24" or 26" barrel.

Thanks Jtielke, makes perfect sense.

I'm on the hunt for a supernova/nova with a 24" or 26" barrel currently.

dhill:

Does your tube extension run flush with the barrel or is it longer?

Edited by Shokr21

Pretty much flush. The Versamax gives you an extra round over the M2 so with the +7 I get 11 in the tube. One of the fringe benefits. That and it flawlessy runs any low recoil round i put through it.

Just out of curiosity is the reason for the longer barrel the extended sight picture, additional velocity, got an extended magazine anyway? Are there any negatives going longer, like slower swing or ability to move in confined areas?

I have a 28" with the +8 and it is flush. I am with the other guys here if you want to run +7 why not have the barrel to match or +6 on a 24. I like being able to pick the gun up and shove a few more in before I start shooting at the matches that allow you to.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same position right now. I have a choice between the 21" and a 24" M2. I was thinking I would go with the 24" and a 9rnd tube. This will get me about flush right? I was thinking if I'm going with a 9rnd tube, it would stick out on the 21" bbl. If my tube is out there, why not have the barrel out that far right?

I'm running a 21" M2 with a +5 and a 24" with a +6 and an xxl cap and its pretty close with an extended choke, looking at picking up a 26" next.

I'm new to the M2 so your 24" with a +6 equals how many total in the tube? 9?

Which bbl length do you prefer the 21 or the 24? If you only had the choice for one which would it be?

I did not order a barrel yet as I am going to run my 26" barrel with +7 for now until i find out how the rules settle out. I don't know with some states (who knows with Federal) limiting magazine capacity will rules change to accommodate shooters from those states? I do not want to put another $500 into a barrel and then have a rule change. If it were clear the rules would remain as they do I would then buy the 21" on the thought why stick weight out there that I do not need? If I could get a 21" for a couple hundred different story. I am not going to spend $500 for 2" going to a 24" though. I do not compete at the level where i am going to be taking on Taran Butler for the Big Check so i am just looking for as light and fast as possible to fit into my personal preference shooting local matches. Right now i would rather spend the money sending the gun out to Triangle for the tactical package and figuring out the barrel next winter if any.