Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 3 Gun M2 is....Almost done a few questions

lablover

Benelli M2 24" I got the Nordic +6 mag extension and the mag clamp. I see the clamp could cause some issues with slugs. I guess I will have to shoot some and see what happens. My questions are:

How tight do you torque the screws that hold the clamp to the barrel and mag. I put some rubber backing so it wont slide.

As far as shooting slugs, never had the need to use slugs (new to 3 gun) any suggestions on what slugs to use? what range should I try to see where it hits with the slugs. Somewhere down the line I plan on using a burris speed bead I think.

I'd also be interested to see what others are doing if the slugs are hitting way off base from POA. I know if im hitting high I can use a taller front sight but does that mess with your birdshot or buckshot shots?

Also got a little bigger bolt handle and a hiviz bead up front.

Look forward to any feedback

Thanks

Joe

Edited by lablover

Welcome to the joy of slugs :cheers: Now you get to go to every sporting goods store around you and buy a box of every slug type and velocity to see which ones shoot best for you in your shotgun. I would try at 50 yards until you find a slug that hits close to POA and then buy more of the same and see what your sight picture is going to be at 75, 100 yards and maybe even 125 if your match director is a SOB.

A Burris will put you into Open Division.

You'll have fun and probably curse a little bit :cheers:

As Carbon9 says, go buy a box of a couple of different types and shoot them. My 1100 is 24" low with Remington Managed Recoil at a very short range. Just doesn't like them. But it will shoot others fine. Some guns shoot the low recoil slugs well, some like full power slugs.

If you go with the Burris, you need a bunch of Tecloaders and the Arrendondo bracket or an XRAIL, since you will be in OPEN.

I saw no problems with my M2 and slugs and I have the same barrel clamp. Are people tightening them too much or is it the nature of the clamp to effect poi by pulling the barrel?

I'm wondering the same thing. When you tightened yours can you give a guesstimation on how hard you tightened the bolts? I think I'll make it to the indoor 50 yard range tomorrow. Now I have to find some slugs. Found some breneke (sp) home defense slugs but didnt buy.

My experience is, when using a clamp it does pull barrel down or pulls tube up. Either way it puts stress on the barrel but once you zero a slug your good to go until you shoot the snot out of it and the clamp moves and therefore so does your poa/poi. If you do tighten the shit out of it so it won't move during recoil your okay till you have to remove it for cleaning and then you have to go prove your poa/poi again so you know what you got.

I won't use a clamp unless I need a sling and then I'll put the clamp on before the match and zero for slug at 75 yards. Most matches don't require slings so my poa/poi is always the same when I take it down for cleaning because I don't use a clamp (no stress on barrel).

Just my $.02

Sent by iPhone

Lablover, from my experience this last season, I am running a 26" M2 with the nordic +7. I use the Nordic barrel clamp and using the short end of the Allen key I keep it two finger tight. It consistently shoots fiocchi low recoil aero slugs 7/8 oz really well out to 100 yds. Hope this helps

I think I'm going to back the tube out 1/4 turn then tighten like WFB recomends. When you say short end of the allen key, I assume you mean the short end is in your fingers right?

Thanks so far for all the help

Fiocchi low recoils 1150fps are the softest and most accurate out of my guns. I was shooting some hotter 1300 fps low recoil federal and the hot stuff shoots higher.

Thanks Jesse

I have to find someplace around here that has them. Worst case is I'll order some and just hold off shooting it. Hard to do with a new toy :)

Joe

You will likely have to order the Fiocchi shells. Get some if their spreaders too.

Start with an IC choke or a Light Mod.

Thanks Jesse

JUst came home from the local gander mountain and bought some Federal slugs. Have no clue what they are but they were dirt cheap. 3.99 for 5 Federal Premium 1 oz truball rifled slugs. All this means nothing to me :) I'll send them downrange in a bit and see.

Yikes, just noticed these are not low recoil. 1600 fps...Ouuuccchhh

Edited by lablover

$.80 per slug isn't cheap! It's average. 1600 fps is gonna shoot 12-18" high would be my guess and you will anticipate recoil every shot after the first one rocks your shoulder making it a bitch to shoot a good group.

Swell. I'll use the range low recoil Winchesters to start. I think I just need to be patient and get the flocchi and then go from there.

Got some winchester WinLite 1 OZ slugs 1200 FPS Rifled hollow points. Cost me a buck each. I put 5 shots in a 2 inch circle at 50 yards. I think I could of done better but I was not using the bags, just resting the forearm on the bench. I was pretty happy it shot right where I was aiming. POI was right at POA so I was pumped. I know they are not the cheeps, but I may pick up a hundred or so for now?? I also want to try those Fiocchi's Jesse talked about. I hate paying hazmat fees :)

The only thing I see being a pain in the arse is taking that clamp off to clean etc. I may try shooting it again with the clamp off, then re-install and see if it still shoot s the same it did the first time out.

Joe

Edited by lablover