Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of a second top end for major on SteelMaster...

sandrooney

I would like to have two top ends one for major and still be able to use the original SteelMaster top end for minor. Is there any downside to fitting another top end on a SteelMaster ? Could running a different top cause it wear different and start causing problems when going back to the original top ?

Thanks,

SR

There isn't much difference between the Steelmaster and the Matchmaster. The biggest difference is the comp but the barrels are the same length, the slide cuts are similar, the weight is almost identical, and the controls are the same. The comp would be the factor that would determine how much control you get with the Major rounds (and of course lots of practice). I have read several guys on here that run Major through their Steelmasters.

If I did it, I would look at just getting another barrel/comp combo and set the springs up correctly.

I would just get a new barrel+comp fitted for major. The biggest difference between the Matchmaster and Steelmaster is the comp. Run a barrel with a better comp, (more ports), and the slide lightening won't be an issue. I've seen plenty of open major guns that have similar slide cuts.

Just so you know, i ran major pf through my Steelmaster for over a year with no problems at all. Well other than being really snappy with recoil but controlable non the less.

Now use a Trubor for IPSC and the Steelmaster for steel.

I found out yesterday that both the Steelmaster and Matchmaster use the same light Recoilmaster. I have a fellow member sending me a heavy outer spring for my recoilmaster and I am going to see if it helps the snap on my Steelmaster. If it does, then I will buy the 5 pack that STI offers.

Doug

• 1 month later...

I've been searching the forums on this topic and found this thread. Has anyone swapped out the barrel/comp to shoot major? I understand that the Steelmaster will shoot major PF just by swapping out recoil springs (at least that seems to be what people are doing from what I've read), but I'm thinking that it would be more ideal to just swap the barrel/comp for paper matches, and use the stock barrel/comp for steel.

If someone has done this, which barrel and comp did you go with, and how is it working out?