Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

n00b and a new Witness Match owner...

PGT

I placed my order last night. I've been wanting a full-size 9mm and bought this over a Beretta 92FS, mainly because I've read that it's a better gun out of the box. We'll see!

I have an FN FiveseveN, a PS90, a Saiga 308 v21 and some tacticool 22LR plinkers so this is my first "mainstream" gun (if you can even consider it one). Mostly, I bought it because 5.7mm has been scarce and I wanted a ubiquitous caliber to shoot. :)

Edited by PGT

Forgot to add....I ordered five spare magazines. The dealer I ordered from mentioned that he only had two "good magazines" and that the others were problematic ones. How does one ID the good from the bad? I've read up a bit and see a bunch of comments about red, black, orange, etc.

Good mags are marked with a "K9", are more of a matte finish, and have a black follower

Mediocre mags have a logo that is a triagle with a T inside, have a glossy finish, have a rear spacer, and an orange follower

Crappy mags have a logo that is a triagle with a T inside, have a glossy finish, have a font spacer, and an orange follower with a notch cut in the front

Good mags are marked with a "K9", are more of a matte finish, and have a black follower

Mediocre mags have a logo that is a triagle with a T inside, have a glossy finish, have a rear spacer, and an orange follower

Crappy mags have a logo that is a triagle with a T inside, have a glossy finish, have a font spacer, and an orange follower with a notch cut in the front

I was wondering if this is also applicable to 9mm SMALL frame. I do have a mag that is the same gloss finish as a mecgar, Triangle logo with T inside, no spacer infront or rear, and orange follower. I guess one way to find out is to try but I dont see any range time any time soon.

Forgot to add....I ordered five spare magazines. The dealer I ordered from mentioned that he only had two "good magazines" and that the others were problematic ones. How does one ID the good from the bad? I've read up a bit and see a bunch of comments about red, black, orange, etc.

When you get your mags they may not seat all the way. You"ll need to disassemble and use some 200 grit sandpaper to sand down the top of the mag base pad. It'll take about 3-5 minutes per mag.

So I thought I would post a note about the "crappy" mags.

They seem to work OK with factory ammo. Its the reloads that don't work well.

I actually shot several thousand factory rounds through both the large and small frame crappy mags with not too many issues. When I started running reloads , then it all went to hell. :)

good to know. given the current environment and the lack of availability, if these run fine with normal rounds then there's no reason to worry. I have a 1k case of Winchester Ranger LEO hollowpoints.

Got the new pair of mags from the shop that sold me the gun. Nearly identical to the factory mag....just a slight different in sheen on the plastic base plate. That said, they take a little more force to lock into the gun but they feed fine. Suggestions on what need to be filed on the mag to make them a little more reliable to snap in? that notch on the side?

Here's the sticker from EAA; correct P/N is 101935

photo-128.jpg

Edited by PGT