Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mowing the yard

Shooter Grrl

I mow 9.5 acres of my land including the handgun range and it used to take me a dawn to dusk routine with the Cub Cadet lawn tractor.

Got the Exmark Lazer Z 72" zero turn, fuel injected and water cooled and it's a done deal in a little over 2 hours.

It cost as much as my motorcycle but the chore I used to dread is now almost fun. :)

What I hate is all the the rain we've had.....not only does it limit when you can mow it almost makes it a twice a week job :(

Tom

Kath,

Use the time on the mower as brain mend time. It's about the only time no one will want to bother you, especially on the tractor. It also sounds like you might need a new blade.

Tom,

You deserve to mow your lawn with pruning shears. A range! Right in your back yard! I am positively green with envy...Are you married??? Do you want to be??? :D Damn. I already am. Hmmm... Got a girlfriend??? :lol:

Liota

Two things come to mind ...

First if you can't own a goat is it ok if you rent a couple? I'm not joking, there are businesses out there for that(e.g. http://www.citlink.net/~covingtonfarms/)

Secondly, just think of it as IPSC and see how many widgets you can hang of your mower, with compesated pipes, stipled stering wheel, multiple red dots for guidance, spare gas tanks, chromed everything, and tungsten blades. It may not mow the lawn any faster, but think of the look on the neighbors faces. And then the real work starts, because you will need to find the perfect fuel load with the right mixture of smooth and power, not to mention the the types of adjustable pedals and .... I should stop now. :unsure:

Vlad

a good mid mower with a lawn ski would be fine there. They do fine on hills. A lawn ski is a device that hooks up to the back of the mid mower and you stand on it. It has a one wheel in the center and it pulls you around and you can turn on a dime.

A good mid mower will go at least jogging speed if not faster. Especially if the grass is dry. Also keep the blades sharpened on any mower you use...may need to be sharpened several times a year.

Secondly, just think of it as IPSC and see how many widgets you can hang of your mower, with compesated pipes, stipled stering wheel, multiple red dots for guidance, spare gas tanks, chromed everything, and tungsten blades. It may not mow the lawn any faster, but think of the look on the neighbors faces. And then the real work starts, because you will need to find the perfect fuel load with the right mixture of smooth and power, not to mention the the types of adjustable pedals and .... I should stop now. :unsure:

Vlad

I'll post a pic of the riding mower my dad modified here one of these days. We'll just say for now that hearing protection is REQUIRED....for the neighbors.

• 4 weeks later...

I really really really hate mowing! So far all I've done, for the LAST FIVE FREAKIN' HOURS is push the little mower around the pond and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down the hill! Thank God I only have one hill!!!!!

Pray for David's soul y'all, I have a feeling he's gonna die soon :P

hey kat,

just think, that's probably the last time this year you'll have to mow. :D

lynn

p.s. now you'll have to rake leaves. :o:ph34r:

I know! That is the only thought getting me through this nightmarish torture.'

And no, I don't rake leaves - I mulch them :)