Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any benefit to open minor?

56hawk

Just wondering, if you ignored the difference in scoring would you be better off shooting major or minor?

The reason I thought of this was that I have a gun that was built specifically for shooting steel challenge. It has a bushing barrel, titanium comp and lightened slide. Works great on steel, but with 125 power factor ammo my split times suck on paper. It just takes forever for the dot to come back down.

Well, yesterday I got some new bullets and was working up a major load. Decided to drop the heaviest recoil spring I had in the steel gun and try it out. Couldn't believe how flat it shot with 170 power factor loads. So, I was thinking if it would be possible to build a gun for open minor that would shoot flat, or do you actually have to shoot major for the comp to work.

In my experience, use a slow powder to get more gas and comps start to work around the 145+pf. If you shoot all As there is no difference score wise. You don't need to drop the heaviest recoil sprig you have in it to work. What type of gun is it?id say most folks run 8-10# recoils springs in 2011/1911 type guns with major ammo.

The advantage for me in shooting minor is no reloading. I can shoot factory at an affordable price. Factory is about 135 PF and the comp on my SteelMaster works pretty good at that. With the scoring difference probably not going to win the nationals but I am probably not going to win the nationals anyway. One thing I will do is have fun with it.

Just my take on it.

SR

In my experience, use a slow powder to get more gas and comps start to work around the 145+pf. If you shoot all As there is no difference score wise. You don't need to drop the heaviest recoil sprig you have in it to work. What type of gun is it?id say most folks run 8-10# recoils springs in 2011/1911 type guns with major ammo.

If you shoot all A's your shooting too slowwwww!

If you shoot all A's your shooting too slowwwww! Open minor sucks in USPSA now for three gun or steel its fine.

If scoring isn't an issue I sincerely doubt we would all be running around at 170 power factor...

I think minor is under rated. Look you aren't going to win open nationals shooting minor (actually Eric won by 5%... It'd be interesting to run the math and see if he would have still won with minor) but most of us won't anyways. If the reduction in impulse and therefore the increase in confidence results in you shooting more/better/faster... Which in turn leads to more fun... DO IT!!!

Sounds like grip issue, muzzle flip and comp not doing anything. The heavier spring is slamming forward dipping the muzzle more to counteract the excessive muzzle flip., yours is flipping up higher than it should be, adding a heavier load and spring is treating the symptom instead of fixing the problem. Go to a lighter 115 or 90 gr bullet and a slow high gas powder and back to your lighter spring, that combo will generate less muzzle flip to begin with, and a lighter spring will get your slide cycling faster but with less downward movement when it locks.

Went to the range to make a comparison today with two targets at 10 yards. Average times:

Lightweight gun minor power factor

splits 0.23

transitions 0.41

Lightweight gun major power factor

splits 0.20

transitions 0.37

Heavyweight gun major power factor

splits 0.16

transitions 0.36

Draw times were within 0.02 for both guns.