Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cast Bullets: Powder Funnel Too Small

I'm loading cast bullets for Bullseye shooting on my SDB. I'm loading 160 gr SWC over 3.5 gr of Bullseye in .45 ACP. I'm getting terrible leading for the first 1/2 of my barrel. I was at the point of giving up and shooting JHP bullets, when I read on another forum that the issue may be that my press is not set up for cast bullets, and the cases are sizing down the .452 bullets as they're being inserted in the case.

I measured my size E powder funnel, and sure enough, it's .446, much smaller than the .450-.451 that a Lyman M die would be.

Is there any way to get a larger powder funnel, to stop squishing my bullets down, once inside the case?

I'm also open to any other suggestions. I would just use a Lyman M die, but my SDB won't accept standard dies.

Thanks,

-John

Actually, the case itself isn't strong enough to size down bullets, the size die is to make them a reasonable amount smaller than the bullet, the powder funnel is to open them up to the correct size, the lip on the powder funnel bells the case mouth so the bullet will start straight in the seating die and the crimp die is to remove the bell on the case mouth so the sides of the case are parallel.

Ending up with a "wasp waist" look is desirable as this will help the case tension on the neck (end of case) to prevent bullet set back when the cartridge is loaded into the chamber on a semi-auto.

If the crimp die is adjusted improperly it may create the problem you mentioned.

There is a recurring "problem" with many reloaders who do not load lead bullets--they don't have any idea of the importance of EXPANDING the case.

The expander is supposed to expand the case ID, over the length that the bullet will be seated, to 0.001-0.002" under bullet diameter. This is NOT talking about the bell/flare of the case mouth, but actually expanding the case ID to properly fit the bullet.

The case is plenty strong enough to swage down a lead bullet (or the thin plated bullets) when you try to cram a bullet into such an undersized case.

I want my case to be expanded to 0.451" for my 0.452-0.453" lead bullets. On my 1050 and on my Hornady L-N-L, I have used a .45 Colt expander to open up the case more. Also, on the 1050, using the swagger/expander and then using the proper "powder funnel" in the powder die for the cartridge will help. Old brass is springy and often needs two expansion operations to actually not spring back so much.

If your bullet is being swaged down (and it is very good that you took the time to check this and do some measurements) or if the bullet is seated crooked (and bulges out the case where the case wall is thinnest), you need to order a larger swager. If Dillon can't do this and doesn't understand the problem, you may need to go to some other source for an expander. I go to Lee as they will make a custom PTE plug inexpensively or you can get a Lyman M-die and use a proper size expander or order a special size if they don't have a standard available (I don't have their standard sizes available at hand).

Finally, you would have to MASSIVELY over crimp to swage the bullet down. Taper crimp is NOT crimp, it is just getting rid of the case mouth flare/bell. Now, the Lee Factory Crimp Die for pistols can swage down an oversized lead bullet as it does a minimal resize of the case to iron out any "problems" that proper reloading would eliminate any way.

John C -

It is obvious that your bullets are not getting a good seal with the barrel as they exit the chamber - hence the leading issue. In my readings on this subject - your rounds are not generating enough pressure to obturate the projectile for a good seal. Sizing (swaging) of the bullet in your press is one possibility as discussed above. Other things to consider are the hardness of your bullets - softer might be better. Heavier bullets would generate more pressure (160 gr SWC is fairly light for a .45 ACP - I assume you're shooting a revolver). A faster powder would also help get the obturation (Clays, Red Dot). Or - if your reloading data shows it is safe - using more Unique under your SWCs might work. Also, the bore diameter of your barrel might be a little oversized - have you slugged it? If it is a revolver - another possibility is undersized chamber mouths swaging the bullets down as they leave the cylinder.

All these ideas I have gleaned by lurking on many forums (CastBoolits is a good one - lots of expertise there) - and subscribing to Handloader magazine (my plug - great read for reloaders). In order to work out your problem - you need to load and shoot more rounds - nothing wrong with that :D .

Cheers -

OVW