Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TANFOGLIO COMPENSATORS ?

Meat Pie

As I said in my intro, I'm currently shooting a Tanfoglio Gold Eric Custom 2010 in 38 Super in the major power factor division. As the Tanfoglio shooters amongst us would know, this pistol is referred to as the V12 model due to the 8 ports along the barrel and 4 portings on the compensator.

There are only 2 vertical gas chambers that have been cut in the compensator as a result of all of the porting. Due to all of the porting prior to the compensator, it is relatively small in comparison to STI and SV compensators.

The down side to all of the porting is the result it has on reloading for major power factor. To make the bare cut off for major power factor I am loading a minumum of 8.8 grains of ADI 's AP100. To load too much higher results in broken slide pins - the Henning hardened slide pin has resolved that drama.

My solution to the problem and to reduce the load pressures is to rebarrel the pistol with an unported barrel and attach a better compensator similar to the Brazo Thundercomp.

10-407l.gif

Can anyone tell me if they have modified their Tanfoglio's along these lines or if they have installed after market compensators?

Can any one identify a supplier in the US/Eurpoe that manufactures Tanfoglio specific compensators?

Can any one put me in contact with a gunsmith in Australia that will work on Tanfoglios?

Regards, Meat Pie

• 1 month later...

Meat Pie, what about this idea:

-buy a standard large frame 4.5" 9mm barrel (no cone)

-turn the end of the barrel down to .575" OD (it's 15mm right now, or .591")

-thread it .575X40

-install the cone fit Thundercomp

I'm assuming the cone on the Brazos comp would be similar enough to lock up in your Tanfo slide with little modification, but I've never handled one, so it's just a guess.

• 1 year later...

anyone else gone along this path?

I'm looking at a tanfog open gun right now.

I have some options.

A mate has a eric custom (V8 so 6 ports in barrel, 2 more in the comp and a 3 chamber compensator). I like it, but don't like the long dustcover and slide it has.

Another option would be to buy a limited custom in 38 super. I can buy a V8 top end for it and sell the limited/standard division top end (or keep it).

but another option might be getting a comp fitted to the current cone barrel. anyone gone that way since meat pie looked into it?

• 1 month later...

G'day lads. Sorry for the absence. A quick update with the Tanfoglio; I imported a complete Henning custom flat trigger kit just before their Home Land Security shut everything down. Shoots like a jet now! 2.8lb trigger pull & the trigger is as crisp as an icicle!

With regards to the barrel & compensator, I got cold feet. I watched one of our club members go down this path and it resulted in a Pandora's box of drama.

I decided to go the way of adding a whole new pistol to the stable and ordered an STI Edge in 38 super through Peter Muscrat. I had to wait a few months and pay quite a bit more than the cost of a barrel and compensator but it has been a pure joy since she arrived!

The Tanfoglio; well I'll take it out one day.....