Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Limited Pro frame?

bubbadoc

Just picked up a used Limited Pro in 10 mm off Gunbroker. I was looking at it as a backup pistol when going hog hunting to replace a 44 Mag revolver.

Did a quick clean and took it to the range. The magazines ejected after every shot if I did not have my hand supporting the mag (arghhh...). Came home suspecting a worn plastic mag catch but found cracks on both sides of the frame behind the mag release button. (arrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!)

Did a search here and found this thread.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136443&hl=+crack#entry1546285

My 'stress release' cracks are wider than these, so if they are intentional then they have widened up from stress caused by the previous owners ammo..... although there is VERY LITTLE evidenceof firing on the gun. So.... what in the heck can I do about it????? I will call EAA this coming week and try our their 'legendary' customer service but understand that this was purchased used. Any suggestions, condolensces, or even funny stories to help cheer me up are acceptable right now....

Yes there are two cuts on each side of the frame and this is normal .As far as the magazine falling after the shot this may be corrected by lifting gently up just a touch the upper edge of the magazine cut that engages the magazine release. I would try to measure though the cuts on each side of the frame to see if the dimensions are consistent on the front close to magazine release and the back using some automotive reading thickness gauge . In my experience with Tanfoglios i have never seen a plastic magazine catch /release they are all metal.

Edited by babo_al

I can run a 0.015" (.381 mm) feeler gage into both cuts, although the one on the right side of the gun is a little looser. Both are even back to front on the cut width. There is a lot of 'wiggle room' open around the right side of the mag catch bar where it goes through the frame. I am trying to power up an old digital camera that has close up focus to take a picture..

As to the plastic comment, my bad... that is what I was expecting so as to explain the dropping of mags from a hardly used pistol. As you stated it is metal.

I would think is all in order ,considering there is no difference front to back of that opening . Is common on this guns that the magazine release does wiggle a bit and is not as firm as the 1911 guns .With that in mind hopefully you can get the problem fixed by adjusting the magazines .

Here is some info hope this helps .

http://tanfo11.com/feedingandejecting.htm

babo_al

Thanks for the link. Will work some magic on a mag or two this week and see how it runs next weekend.

As to the cut width, I was able to resurrect an old camera with close up and here are some pics of the area in question... you will understand why I was so concerned this morning upon seeing it...

The first photo link by the Original Poster looks like a crack to me, but the later photos look like a slot cut by the factory to prevent the cracking. Colt did this with the 1911 Delta Elite in 10mm just above the slide stop aperature and it became a cutout instead. Doesn't look like a problem to me.

Perhaps the reason mine doesn't have these slots is because they forgot to cut the slots on mine. Another possibility is that they decided to save money from now on by not cutting the slots anymore (I bought it early this year). Either way, a crack in that part of the frame doesn't bother me, especially since I think they've been putting the slots there just to reduce the number of warranty claims.

Mine is .40S&W. Does your 10mm still kick brass into the next county? Have you found a solution or decided to just ignore it?

The fix is to shorten the ejector pin. I tried messing with stiffer springs, dual springs, and I even bought this Sprico Recoil reducer (which is a 2 stage guide rod). But nothign helped the ejection except to shorten that pin. My 10mm with hot 155gr loads was ejecting the brass over 25 yards. Now its more like 5 yards.. :)

Mine is .40S&W. Does your 10mm still kick brass into the next county? Have you found a solution or decided to just ignore it?

The fix is to shorten the ejector pin. I tried messing with stiffer springs, dual springs, and I even bought this Sprico Recoil reducer (which is a 2 stage guide rod). But nothign helped the ejection except to shorten that pin. My 10mm with hot 155gr loads was ejecting the brass over 25 yards. Now its more like 5 yards.. :)

Will shortening the ejector pin cause problems for mild practice loads (180gr bullet with 3.5 gr of Clays @ 1.23" OAL)? If not, how much do you shorten it? Is there a link available where I could learn how exactly to do it?

I don't shoot anything mild, so I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it would be OK. I can take pics and detail what I did if you are really interested

Please and Thanks. I want to explore some 10mm type loads without peppering anyone at the range with cartridge cases.

Getting back to the original issue....

I took the LImited back to the range today. Short story is that the MAGS STILL DROP ON EACH SHOT (arrrggghhhh!!!). I had two mags and 'adjusted' the top lip of the mag cut on both. I did a little, tried again, repeated... until both of them were too wide to go into the gun. Back off a little with a 'love' tap... still no go.... so

I think either the mag release either doesn't have enough material on it to hold or there is just too much verticle play around it due to the cuts and the recoil moves it down. Guess the next step will be next week and try to shim it to remove the verticle movement... will wait until after that to call EAA...

Once again, thanks for all of the input so far.