Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel crown cleaning

DRichardson

I have a XDm that has the Carver professional open kit on it. So far it has been great and while it may not be the end all of open guns it has served me well getting into open. Problem is the way the barrel and comp mate up carbon builds up and sticks to the crown and after about 600-700 rounds acurracy starts to fall off. It isnt a huge drop off but it is noticable. How does every one clean this area on their guns or is removing, cleaning, and re-loctiting the comp the only way.

My background in shooting is long range rifle so the crown was one of the first things I thought of when accuracy fell off but is there anything else I should look at.

The barrel is a storm lake barrel, with a springer precision 3 port comp. Ammo is GA arms 9mm NATO with TMJ bullets, Minor power factor. ( reloading stuff coming for christmas from the wife).

Edited by DRichardson

Soaking it works fine, the issue with that is that the cleaning solutions also loosens the loctite. It looks like just removing the comp and cleaning it and the barrel will be the best solution for now. Thanks for all the ideas though

I have a XDm that has the Carver professional open kit on it. So far it has been great and while it may not be the end all of open guns it has served me well getting into open. Problem is the way the barrel and comp mate up carbon builds up and sticks to the crown and after about 600-700 rounds acurracy starts to fall off. It isnt a huge drop off but it is noticable. How does every one clean this area on their guns or is removing, cleaning, and re-loctiting the comp the only way.

My background in shooting is long range rifle so the crown was one of the first things I thought of when accuracy fell off but is there anything else I should look at.

The barrel is a storm lake barrel, with a springer precision 3 port comp. Ammo is GA arms 9mm NATO with TMJ bullets, Minor power factor. ( reloading stuff coming for christmas from the wife).

Get a .45 cal brush and run it soaked in hoppes. Run a solvent patch first and let set for a few minutes then run the over sized brush. The over sized plastic bristles will clean the crown uniformly without damage.